SGA releases Spring 2024 election results

Illustration courtesy of Student Government Association at UTSA

The Student Government Association (SGA) held an election for their executive positions between Feb. 22 and March 4. The results were posted to their Instagram on April 18. In total, 645 students voted in the election out of the 32,368 eligible voters, which is approximately 1.99% of the student body. This is an increase from the previous year’s 578 voters who comprised 1.82% of the student body.

Student Body President

Aydan Villarreal was elected president after amassing 88.52% of the cast votes. Abstained votes made up 8.21% of the total while write-in candidates made up 3.25%. 

Student Body Vice President

Emily Gaither was elected vice president upon receiving 84.03% of the votes. Abstained votes consisted of 14.26% of the total while write-in candidates consisted of 1.7%.

Student Body Treasurer

Ethan La Borde was elected treasurer with 82.17% of the total votes cast. Abstained votes were 16.43% of the total while write-in candidates were 1.39%.

Sophomore Senators

Sahana Babu was elected as one of the four sophomore senators with 79.78% of the votes. Three additional seats remain open for this position. Abstained votes made up 17.93% of the total while write-in candidates made up 2.26%.

Junior Senators

Alexia Segovia was elected as one of the four junior senators upon receiving 80.27% of the cast votes. Three additional seats remain open for this position. Abstained votes received 16.84% of the total while write-in candidates received 2.87%.

Senior Senators

Christina Powell, Angelina Rodriguez, Megan Brown and Belicia Vasquez were elected as the four senior senators. They received 22.03%, 21.24%, 18.77% and 17.34% of the total votes respectively. Candidate Haley Aguilar received 14.16% of the votes, 5.8% of the votes were abstained and the remaining 0.63% of votes were cast towards write-in candidates. 

Graduate Senators

Madeline Snyder was elected as one of the four graduate senators after amassing 81.3% of the votes. Three additional seats remain open for this position. Abstained votes comprised 16.1% of the total while write-in candidates comprised 2.57%.

College of Business

All five seats remain open for the senator of the College of Business positions as abstained votes made up 72.16% of the total and write-in candidates made up 27.82%. 

College of Education and Human Development

The two senator seats for the College of Education and Human Development positions remain open as no votes were cast for candidate Tay Moh, abstained votes, nor write-in candidates. 

College of Engineering and Integrated Design

All four seats remain open for the senator of the College of Engineering and Integrated Design positions as abstained votes comprised 72.85% of the total cast while write-in candidates comprised 27.12%. 

College of Health, Community, and Policy

Giselle Torres-Villarreal and Gloria Tran were elected as two of the five senators for the College of Health, Community and Policy. They received 53.52% and 36.47% of the cast votes respectively. Three additional seats remain open. Abstained votes made up 9.41% of votes cast and write-in candidates made up 0.58%.  

College of Liberal and Fine Arts

Fritz Houston was elected as one of the four senators for the College of Liberal and Fine Arts upon amassing 69.93% of the total votes. Three additional seats remain open. Abstained votes amassed 22.37% of the votes and write-in candidates amassed 7.67%. 

College of Sciences

Paul Gonzalez was elected as one of the five senators for the College of Sciences with 80.62% of the cast votes. Four additional seats remain open. Abstained votes comprised 13.17% of the votes and write-in candidates comprised 6.2%. 

University College Senators 

All three seats remain open for the University College senator positions as abstained votes made up 80.82% of the votes while write-in candidates made up 19.15%

For more information on the SGA, visit utsa.edu/sga/.