San Antonio chosen as host city for basketball tournament

Final Four basketball in front of the Alamo. Courtesy of Creative Commons

2021 Women’s Final Four

San Antonio has been chosen to host the 2021 National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Women’s Final Four. UTSA will co-host the event with the University of the Incarnate Word (UIW) and San Antonio Sports. 

“UTSA has a great history of hosting final fours for both men and women. We have been really fortunate to work with San Antonio Sports, which is a local organization in San Antonio who helps bring different sporting events to San Antonio,” said Lisa Campos, UTSA Director of Athletics. “We definitely know how to work together and put successful bids together, so this has been in the works for a long time.”

One of the first things Campos did, when hired as UTSA’s Director of Athletics in December of 2017, was go to Indianapolis to help with an initial presentation of the bid to the NCAA and then again in Tampa, Florida. 

A requirement for hosting a Women’s Final Four is that the school must be a Division I program. 

“Based on our bid, they selected San Antonio and then the co-host Incarnate Word,” Campos said. “Incarnate Word just transitioned into a Division I program, so we thought it would make sense for both Division I programs in San Antonio to help host this great event.”   

When San Antonio hosted the Women’s Final Four in 2002, there was record-breaking attendance with 29,619 attendees at the national semifinals.

“People love coming to San Antonio. We have proven that we know how to put on a tremendous championship not only for the fan experience but for the student athlete experience,” Campos said.

According to Campos, co-hosting this event entails planning, which began even before she was hired and regular meetings regarding logistics and promotion of the event.

“[On] game day, we will really be behind the scenes, whether it’s the sports medicine program, whether it’s the marketing, whether it’s hosting teams,” Campos said. “But it is a total effort, everyone … from our athletic department will be involved.”

Campos believes that women’s basketball has a growing fan base, and hosting the final four is something that can contribute to the growth. “I think from the last time we hosted a Final Four,