One-third of CAP students forego Austin transfer

The Coordinated Admission Program (CAP) has brought an immense number of UT Austin freshman applicants to begin their studies at the UTSA campus. However, with new restrictions to the program and the growing popularity of UTSA, some CAP students might find themselves hooked as Roadrunners instead of Longhorns.

In previous years, all CAP students were automatically accepted into UTSA and were not required to apply to the university. Recently, the admission standards changed.

“We’ve stopped accepting every single CAP student. Every prospective CAP student must first meet all of the UTSA admissions requirements,” Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs George E. Norton said. “In fact, we’ve raised the requirements for CAP to be higher than that of UTSA.”

The CAP program also comes at a cost since the university has chosen to shift its focus to the students who plan to stay at UTSA.

“It’s all about managing the enrollment,” Norton said. “We need to focus more on UTSA students seeking a degree from this university. UTSA wants to spend money on its students.”

However, the CAP program has also had a positive effect on campus. Roughly one third of CAP students stay and graduate from UTSA; some have been key leaders in respected organizations such as Derek Trimm, who was Student Government President from 2010-2011.

“We hope and encourage these students to embrace UTSA while they are here,” said Assistant Vice President of Student Financial Aid and Enrollment Services Lisa G. Blazer, Ph.D. “Involvement on campus will get them engaged and hopefully hooked.”

Many who used to be CAP students are glad they got involved and stayed in San Antonio.

“I liked the environment, friends and San Antonio in general,” Aquatics Coordinator at the Campus Recreation Center Emily Wason noted. “I don’t like the personalities from Austin.”

Another student did not meet the CAP’s GPA requirement at the end of his freshman year to be admitted to UT Austin but boosted his GPA by the end of his second year and became a Supplemental Instruction Leader.

“At first I was bitter, but I met so many cool people and made so many different friends! I’m glad things happened the way they did; they made me realize what I was missing and that I was being close-minded. I don’t think if I could go back in time and change it I would,” junior Juan Iglesias said.

Currently, UTSA is the number one CAP school and receives three times as many students as the number two school, UT Arlington.

“More students choose UTSA,” noted Norton. “They have a good experience on campus and tell their friends about it. I wouldn’t doubt that the football program will attract more students in the future.”

Even those who plan to continue their education in Austin are excited for the football season and plan on making trips back to watch the team next year.

“I was born and raised in San Antonio. Both my parents graduated from UTSA and are really excited about the new football team,” freshman Chelsea Tijerina said. “I’m more than positive that I’ll be coming back down to watch the home games with them. Who knows, if things don’t work out in Austin, maybe I’ll come back here to UTSA .”