Ballin’ on a budget

Whether you’re a big baller with deep pockets or a college student, everyone is looking for ways to save money. I, like most people, try to look for good food at a good price. Coupons or Groupons, it doesn’t matter as long as it saves a few bucks.

Think of a date night you’ve recently had, did you spend $45, $30 or $10? The idea of spending $10 for a date on a late Thursday night doesn’t sound ideal but it’s one of the best ways to have an experience on a college budget. Recently, I went to Kona Grill with my girlfriend during happy hour and I have to tell you, it was a blast. The music was popping, a waitlist was forming and to top it all off: $1 margaritas. When I found out about this happy hour, I didn’t think it would fly with my girlfriend; however, after she ordered some drinks and an appetizer, she had a great time. When I got the check I couldn’t help but think, “That’s crazy, 10 bucks for dinner and drinks.”

I think so many college students think they have to take their dates to a very luxurious place or it really doesn’t count as a night out. In my opinion, this could not be further from the truth. You both live on a college budget, so there’s really no need to go all out on a date night. In addition, you just need a good atmosphere and a place where both of you can talk to each other, since the conversation is the only thing that matters anyway.

However, happy hour dates only apply to regular date nights, not birthdays, anniversaries or other major events. Although, if you just want to take someone out for a nice evening, then pick a place with a great happy hour and tell them they’ll love it. As an added bonus, you can spend 10 bucks on dinner and put the savings towards a movie or another activity you can both do together.

So, why not make the date during happy hour?