Sigma Pi collects clothing donations for Haven for Hope

UTSA fraternities and sororities collected clothing donations for Sigma Pi’s 8th annual clothing drive on April 7 at Aspen Heights. Sigma Pi held a philanthropic event for Haven for Hope, a local nonprofit organization dedicated to providing care for homeless individuals in Bexar County.

Sigma Pi is an international fraternity and a member of the Interfraternity Council (IFC). UTSA’s chapter of Sigma Pi was established in 2008.

“We [Sigma Pi] promote scholarship amongst our [brothers], we interact with various student organizations and we benefit the San Antonio community through various philanthropic activities,” Jorge Borrego, a senior mathematics major and member of Sigma Pi, said.

The week-long clothing drive collected 4,706 pounds of clothing to donate to Haven for Hope. Clothing donations were donated by Sigma Pi members and UTSA sororities such as Zeta Tau Alpha, Alpha Omicron Pi, Alpha Sigma Alpha, Gamma Phi Beta, Alpha Delta Pi and Phi Mu.

Borrego states that he enjoys philanthropic work like giving back to Haven for Hope due to his own experience with nonprofit organizations.

“I enjoy philanthropic activities because growing up in poverty, my family relied on goods from nonprofit programs. So being able to give back to the community let’s me give the same opportunities and necessities to families like my own,” Borrego said.

Sigma Pi hopes the clothing drive will provide contemporary style clothing for the individuals and families who live in the Haven for Hope’s outdoor sleeping space, The Courtyard.

Borrego encourages members of the UTSA community to participate in philanthropic events that are not only within the Greek community but in UTSA and San Antonio community as well.

“I think it’s important to participate in [philanthropic events] because not only do they help the less fortunate, but it gives one a sense of well-being,” Borrego said.

The event at Aspen Heights’ pool featured live music, a banner-making competition and a volleyball tournament.

To learn more about Sigma Pi, you can visit their international website at https://sigmapi.org/ or follow their social media for more updates on events; Twitter: @SigmaPI_UTSA and Instagram: sigmapi_utsa