A ticket to fun and feeling young

Photo by Kayla Buford

The State Fair of Texas is finally back in action with three weeks of good times and good food. The various activities the fair provides make it a great place to come together with loved ones and make memories that will last a lifetime. This event runs from Sept. 27 to Oct. 20, and there is never a dull day at Fair Park.

Following the opening weekend on Sept. 27, Dallas Fair Park saw plenty of activity as family and friends gather to experience this one-of-a-kind event. The fair draws an annual attendance of two million people, which is more than any other state in the country. It is no surprise that there are over 70 small business concessionaires ready to serve their unique meals to visitors every fall.

I had the pleasure of speaking to Alessandra Garcia, an employee at Fletcher’s Corn Dogs, about the reasons they come out to Fair Park every year. “We come out every year to not only share the new foods we have come up with but to see everyone out here having fun,” Garcia said. Fair Park is filled with a variety of great foods, but what makes the State Fair of Texas unique is the energy of the entire event. “I love seeing the way this event is creating memories for families and just bringing people together,” Garcia said. While looking for event ideas to kick off the fall, this should definitely be at the top of the checklist. From fried Oreos to Ferris wheels, the State Fair of Texas creates a vibe that screams fun.

While the fair is most known for its out-of-the-ordinary food, it also includes various carnival rides and games. According to the State Fair of Texas website, there are over 70 rides and games inside of Fair Park.

I was able to speak with Yonda Huckaby, an employee at All Kids Win a Prize, who went into detail about her experiences working the rides at the fair. “I come out every year to see the smiles on everyone’s faces and to just spread joy during this time of the year,” Huckaby said. This environment is clearly full of Southern hospitality, and the energy in the park is undeniably joyful, making it hard for anyone not to smile. “My favorite part is to see the kids making memories at the park, playing our games and living in the moment,” Huckaby said.

The park is open from 10 a.m. until 9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and until 10 p.m. on the weekends. Fair attendees should prepare for a full day packed with fun and good memories.

The State Fair of Texas is an excellent representation of the South and the joyful energy that surrounds it. Everyone in attendance, from visitors to employees, have a great time in the lively environment at Fair Park. The vibrancy of this event is indescribable, and it’s an experience that attendees will never forget.