Athlete of the Week: Jhivvan Jackson

Josh Peck

Jhivvan Jackson looks on during a game against LA Tech.

Julia Maenius, Assistant Sports Editor

Junior guard Jhivvan Jackson has made his way into UTSA basketball history, holding the third all-time scoring title while he finishes up his third season for the Roadrunners.

Jackson first picked up a ball at age four, beginning his long basketball career which eventually led him to become a pivotal component in the ‘Runners’ offense, averaging 25.7 points per game.

“I kept progressing over the years,” Jackson said. “I always played up and matched everybody’s level of competitiveness.”

Jackson has been crowned with multiple achievements, including being added to the Oscar Robertson Trophy Preseason Watch List and preseason All-Conference USA team and named Conference USA Player of the Week and preseason C-USA Player of the Year. Jackson has become the number two scorer in the National Collegiate Athletic Association for Division 1 basketball.

“I chose UTSA because of the coaches and the school,” Jackson said. “Our recruiting class really wanted to come in here and change the culture, and I think that was one of our main goals.”

Native of Bayamón, Puerto Rico, Jackson has become the leading scorer for the ‘Runners, providing the team with strong outside shooting and large offensive plays.

“I only took one visit, and then I committed the next day,” Jackson said. “I already had trust in the coaches because they always came to my high school and always reached out to my family, which was a huge part, and they kept in touch every day.”

Averaging over 33 minutes per game and having played in all 18 games this season, Jackson values the hard work of his teammates and coaches that help him improve.

“I am more vocal in the games and in practice,” Jackson said. “That is the biggest leadership change I have made. I see things in games and in practice of other teams that coaches might not see, so I always try to help my team by giving them tips or anything on how to be a better player or scorer. I think our main focus right now is winning and getting stops on defense.”

With a 9-10 season record, Jackson leads the nation with the most rebounds for players standing six feet and below.

“Getting our first win, since we had a rough start this year, and getting better every day with my teammates has been the best part about this season.”

Jackson has been a three-year starter for the Roadrunners.

“I work really hard, and I think that is my work paying off,” Jackson said. “That was my role, to come in here and try to score, and I accepted that role. It is all thanks to my teammates and the coaches that gave me the freedom to play my game the way I can.”

Jackson looks forward to continuing the ‘Runners’ conference slate with a thankful attitude toward the teammates and coaches that have assisted him in his journey.

“It has taken me places,” Jackson said. “Without basketball, I wouldn’t be here in San Antonio, and I would probably still be in Puerto Rico. I have made a lot of friendships that I am going to have for the rest of my life. I have met great people and great fans, and this is literally all I have ever dreamed of. My dream was to come to a four-year college, and living it is a blessing.”