K-poppin in the club

Maha Qadri, Magazine Editor

K-pop Nite at the Brick Blue Star Arts Complex was electric and infectious, as “BBoom BBoom” by Momoland blasted through the speakers.

Upon entering the club, the patrons found a stage where K-pop music videos were being projected. Popular YouTuber John Norman was the DJ for the event. As the songs played, anyone was welcome to come on stage and showcase their dancing skills. Since the event was open to all ages, everyone from ages five to 25 danced together to songs like “My Pace” by Stray Kids and “Wonderland” by ATEEZ.

Of course, when BTS songs like “Go Go” and “Burning Up (Fire)” came on, the entire dance floor was flooded by ARMYs (BTS’s fandom name). People of all skill levels danced their hearts out, unafraid of making a mistake.

Along the back wall of the establishment were vendors selling original handmade K-pop merch for many different groups.

Among the patrons was Alejandro Garcia, a San Antonio College alum. “I actually started with ballet,” Garcia said when asked about his interest in dancing. “After a while, I wasn’t able to afford the whole thing, so I stopped dancing. Then I got into K-pop, and some of my friends started performing. It’s been a lot of fun.”

UTSA student Brandon Ponce, a junior modern language studies major in Japanese and Korean, was also in attendance. “[The best part about K-pop culture is] the dancing and making friends through the groups that you like,” Ponce said. Ponce is a member of the Korean Culture Club at UTSA, and learning choreography is a big part of the club’s agenda. “We have practices Monday, Wednesday and Friday,” Ponce said.

The event ran from 8 p.m. to midnight. The most admirable aspect about K-pop culture is showcased in events like this; people of all ages coming together, feeling confident and empowered, enjoying music which has always had the power to transcend language barriers. Most fans are met with a lot of distaste for their interest in K-pop, but fans of K-pop are unlike any other person you’ll come across. Aside from the fan-cam spammers, K-pop fans’ levels of loyalty, kindness and protectiveness are unmatched.

If you’re interested in joining the community, reach out to the Korean Culture Club on Instagram at @utsa_kcc.