Women’s tennis picks up third win of the season

Ethan Gullett

Kylee Kato sends a ball back to her opponent. The ‘Runners were able to pick up their third win of their spring season in a home contest against the Vaqueros.

Kennedy Caskey, Staff Writer

On Saturday, Feb. 15th, the UTSA women’s tennis team hosted the UT Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros at the UTSA Tennis Center. The Roadrunners finished with a 7-0 record, sweeping UTRGV. The ‘Runners were represented by freshmen Laura Munoz-Baroja and Keegan McCain, sophomores Catalina Cabrique, Jasmin Starr and Sophie Omoworare, and seniors Diya Mennon, Laura Cabrera and Kylee Kato.

In the first match of the day, Starr faced opponent Katarina Sasaroga. The match retired after Starr finished the first set, 6-0. One court over, Munoz-Baroja defeated UTRGV’s Ana Platisa with a sweeping 6-2, 6-2 win. Kato earned a victory for UTSA, beating Valeria Montero, 6-1, 6-4. Continuing her teammate’s winning streak, McCain achieved a win with a 6-2, 6-2 outcome. Just as successful, Cabrera secured a 6-2, 6-3 win for the ‘Runners. In the closely contested final singles match of the day, Cabrique fought hard but fell short, in her first set, 5-7. Carbrique bounced back and won the second set against opponent Alicia Thal, 6-3. In the deciding super tiebreaker, Cabrique won, 10-6.

Meanwhile, doubles pair Kato and Cabrique dominated with a 6-1 win over UTRGV’s Thal and Platisa. Similarly, Omoworare and Mennon won in a well-fought match, 6-4. Starr and McCain’s match was retired at 5-4.

Head coach Ki Kroll concluded, “We got off to a good start in doubles and kept things going in singles. We’ll need to build on this win for our next match against a very good Corpus Christi team on Tuesday. I’m very excited about our progress.”

The UTSA women’s tennis team will continue their spring season on Tuesday, Feb. 18, against Texas A&M Corpus Christi.