Track and field competes at C-USA Indoor Championship

Cade Draughon, Staff Writer

The Roadrunner track and field teams competed at the Conference USA Indoor Championships in Birmingham, Alabama on Feb. 22-23.

On the men’s side of the event, sophomore Bashiru Abdullahi ran the 60-meter hurdles in 7.80 seconds to win the gold medal and tie the school record he set earlier this season. After his third straight win, Abdullahi was named the C-USA Male Track Athlete of the Week for the second consecutive week. Freshman Jack Turner won gold in the heptathlon, putting up a total of 5,142 points. In the triple jump, sophomore Andre Douglas hit a total of 15.52 meters, for the ‘Runners earning a gold medal in the event.

Junior Jake McDaniel finished close behind Turner in the heptathlon, earning third place, with 4,903 points. Freshman Joel McFarlane finished in fifth place with a score of 4,448 points, and freshman Justin Wright finished in sixth place, with 4,420 points. The men finished in second place for the meet behind the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, posting a total of 108 points.

In the men’s 4×400-meter relay, Andrew Pirog, Joel McFarlane, Gary Haasbroek and Christopher Rosales finished in sixth place, with a time of 3:17.82. Junior Mikael Dawkins finished third in the 60-meter dash, with a time of 6.83 seconds, and finished eighth in the 200-meter dash, with a time of 21.84 seconds.

On the women’s team, junior Maia Campbell won the gold medal in shot put, throwing a career-best total of 16.12 meters, and she also took home the bronze in the weight throw with 18.68 meters. Freshman Sigrid Kleive finished third in high jump, hitting 1.73 meters, and sophomore Danielle Spence finished third in triple jump, hitting 12.87 meters.

Sophomore Maribel Caicedo placed fourth in the 60-meter dash, and the women’s 4×400 team of Darionne Gibson, Taylor Armstrong, Creshaun Cresser and Alanah Yukich claimed a fourth place of their own. Freshman long jumper Ingeborg Gruenwald recorded a 6.18 meter jump to win the bronze medal. The women finished in fourth place behind Charlotte, Middle Tennessee State University and Rice University with a total of 72 points.

The ‘Runners regular indoor season will be continued on Mar. 13-14 in Albuquerque, New Mexico for the NCAA Indoor Championships.