Women’s basketball falls to the Blazers

Cade Draughon, Staff Writer

UTSA women’s basketball (6-21, 2-14 C-USA) fell to the UAB Blazers (18-10, 10-6 C-USA), 51-87, on Feb. 29.

Currently, freshman guard Mikayla Woods leads the team in scoring with 15 points per game, while freshman forward Adryana Quezada with 13.7 points per game and junior guard Karrington Donald with 10.1 points per game follow closely behind. Woods also leads the team in assists with 2.4 per game and steals with 2.7 per game.

During the game, the ‘Runners had a hard time scoring, finishing the first half down, 27-44, after a 16-2 run by the Blazers. Quezada shot 40% from the field to end the game with a team-high 18 points. Donald added another 12 points and senior forward Timea Toth added seven.

The ‘Runners shot 27.9% from the field, including 13.3% from the three. UAB had 29 points from their bench and shot 45.5% from the three, leading the ‘Runners in all four quarters.

In the first half of the fourth quarter, the Blazers went on a 14-6 run to extend their lead and secure the win. This was the ‘Runners’ 21st loss of the season.

This week, the ‘Runners will play against the Louisiana Tech University Lady Techsters (13-14, 5-11 C-USA) on March 5 at 7 p.m. and in Florida against the Florida International University Panthers (5-22, 2-14 C-USA) on March 7 at 1 p.m.

The Louisiana Tech Lady Techsters are coming off an overtime loss against Rice and have lost three of their last four games. The Lady Techsters leading scorer Kierra Anthony has been averaging 23.4 points per game, and Grayson Bright leads their team in rebounding with 6.8 per game.

The last game of the ‘Runners regular season will be against the Panthers, who are coming off a loss against the University of North Carolina at Charlotte 49ers and sit at 13th in Conference USA. The Panthers’ only player averaging double-digit points is Jiselle Thomas with 10.9 points per game.