Former UTSA football trio named to NFF honors list

Ryan Garza, Sports Editor

On April 15, the National Football Foundation & College Football Hall of Fame (NFF) named former UTSA football student athletes Andrew Martel, King Newton and Brett Winnegan to the 2020 NFF Hampshire Honor Society.

The honor society is made up of college football players from all different divisions and conferences who have each maintained a cumulative 3.2 GPA or better throughout the entirety of their collegiate careers. The former Roadrunners are part of a group of 1,432 student athletes from 364 different schools across the country. 

Martel graduated with a bachelor’s degree in multidisciplinary studies in May 2019 and was a four-time Conference USA (C-USA) Commissioner’s Honor Roll member. 

Newton graduated with a bachelor’s degree in management in December 2019 and was a four-time C-USA Commissioner’s Honor Roll member.

Winnegan was a two-sport athlete during his time as a Roadrunner, both a member of the track & field program and football program. Winnegan graduated in December 2018 with a bachelor’s degree in finance and was a member of the C-USA Commissioner’s Honor Roll. He is currently continuing his education by pursuing a master’s degree in public administration. 

During his time on the field, Martel moved from his natural safety position to linebacker and ended up leading the team in total tackles (83).Martel also racked up seven tackles for a loss, one sack, one forced fumble and two pass breakups. He is currently tied for second most games played in UTSA football history. 

Newton had his senior season cut short due to injury but was able to finish with 77 total tackles, 9.5 tackles for a loss and a pair of sacks, forced fumbles and fumble recoveries. 

Winnegan was a sprinter and jumper for the track program and a competitor at the C-USA Indoor Championships. On the gridiron, Winnegan holds the UTSA record with 68 total kick returns and 1,515 total yards. His career-best return of 65-yards came during the 2019 game against the Army Black Knights. Besides being a kick returner, Winnegan also appeared as a running back and has one of the longest rushes in UTSA football history with a 71-yard score against the Texas State Bobcats in 2017.