‘Club JPL’ celebrates National Library Week

JPL

In celebration of National Library Week, the John Peace Library (JPL) and the downtown campus library will be hosting several events including a scavenger hunt and a photo booth.

The scavenger hunt will be virtual; which requires participants to download the SCVNGR app to their phones. The scavenger hunt will consist of five events, which can be completed on any day until Friday and must be done inside either the JPL or the downtown library.

The events range from doing a roadrunner impersonation to making a tin sculpture. Once players have completed each event, they can collect a button at the library’s front desk.

Students who earn all five buttons will be eligible to win a prize.

“What we are trying to do is to raise awareness of the resources the library provides,” Sanchez said.

National Library Week is traditionally held on the second full week in April, and is celebrated in libraries across the country.

“National Libraries Week is a week-long celebration of libraries, librarians and library workers (that) began in 1958 by the American Libraries Association,” UTSA communication specialist Stephanie Sanchez said. “It also helps promote and encourage libraries.”

Even though modern libraries might be used more for the wireless hotspots than literary meccas, UTSA’s library system is keeping up with the times while honoring tradition. Each event being hosted by the libraries will utilize recent technology and give students a chance to win prizes.

There will also be a free photo booth where students can take pictures of themselves. The photos will then be uploaded to UTSA Libraries’ Facebook page, and participants who tag themselves will also be put into a drawing to win a prize. In addition to the online pictures, students will also get a copy of the photo strip.

“The Photo Booth contest is just a fun factor,” Sanchez said.

UTSA’s libraries have been hosting events for National Library Week for several years, and they have always tried to make the event fun for participants. In addition to the events being hosted by the libraries, there will also be a wall of fame where students to put their names.

Other prizes include flash drives and the popular “Club JPL” T-shirt.

UTSA Libraries will be hosting these events through Friday, April 13. The scavenger hunt is held from 9 a.m. through 4 p.m. at both libraries, while the photo booth will be downtown from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. and at the JPL from 4 p.m. until 8 p.m.