A player spotlight: Sincere McCormick

Max Aguirre, Sports Editor

After putting together a remarkable freshman campaign last year, running back Sincere McCormick will no doubt be an instrumental part of the Roadrunner offense this season. Standing at 5 feet 9 inches and weighing 200 pounds, McCormick is a stocky, physical runner who causes problems for defenses with his strength and bursts of agility.  

Last year, McCormick won the Conference USA Freshman of the Year award and broke several school records. These records included the most all-purpose yards in a season by a running back (1,177) and the most yards in a single game (189). His potential seems to be off the charts, and many are expecting an even better performance in his second year. McCormick was recently nominated for the Earl Campbell Tyler Rose award, which is given to the top offensive player in Division I football who has high school or college roots in Texas. 

McCormick has both of these ties and could almost be considered a homegrown star. He attended Converse Judson High School, which is only about 30 miles from UTSA. He was nearly unstoppable there, rushing for a total of 3,407 yards and 43 touchdowns in his career. 

After he arrived at UTSA, McCormick was praised by former head coach Frank Wilson, who called him one of the team’s most dynamic offensive threats. McCormick was given the opportunity to start in his first college game and quickly showed he was deserving of the credit given to him. The year prior to his arrival, the longest rush by a ‘Runner tailback was 36 yards. McCormick managed to beat that mark twice in his first three games and has not looked back. It could be argued that he is the best running back UTSA has had in its short football history; no one before him has had such a strong start. 

The success of last season was incredible, and he has made it clear that he is not going to slow down. When asked what he thought about his first year in an interview in late August, McCormick said, “It gives me a lot of confidence, but at the same time, the job is never done. I’m still pushing. I’m still fighting because I’m never satisfied with where I’m at.” He was also asked about the steps he made since the end of his freshman year to try to improve as a player, to which he mentioned his film study and his willingness to develop as a run blocker.  

The upcoming season looks promising for McCormick despite the challenges the COVID-19 pandemic has put in front of him and his team. He has a chance to accomplish feats no other running back in UTSA’s past has done, including making a successful run at the Earl Campbell Tyler Rose award. His competition is fierce. The award has previously gone to five quarterbacks and two running backs. Two of those quarterbacks are current NFL starters Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray. There are 46 other names on that nominee list; McCormick’s talent has already put him among those kinds of players, which only helps demonstrate how special he truly is.