UTSA begins Hispanic Heritage Month celebrations

Breahna Luera, News Editor

UTSA has begun its celebration of this year’s Hispanic Heritage Month. The celebration will be from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15 and will include events such as racial justice book clubs, a university relations speaker series and a symposium on the effects of COVID-19 on the Texas Latino population. The theme for this year’s celebration is “Voces de Resistencia/Visions of Resilience.”

“This year’s events will showcase the stories of and perseverance of the Hispanic community, while also inspiring Roadrunners to face adversity with their own strength,” a UTSA Today article said. 

According to UTSA’s Hispanic Serving History webpage, the U.S. Department of Education designated UTSA a Hispanic Serving Institution in 1994. 

UTSA’s Hispanic Population webpage says 57% of UTSA students identify as Hispanic/Latino. In the 2018-2019 school year, UTSA awarded 3,623 Hispanic/Latino students degrees

Throughout Hispanic Heritage Month, UTSA will showcase community leaders, faculty, staff and students around significant themes in Latino culture,” UTSA’s Hispanic Heritage Month website says. “This month’s events will inspire you to face adversity with strength and build resiliency as many Latino immigrants did when leaving their home countries to pursue the American Dream.”

To see the whole list of events this month, visit the Hispanic Heritage Month homepage.