UTSA gives on-campus residents an option to cancel their Spring 2021 housing contracts

Chaparral+Village+on+campus.+Housing+and+Residence+Life+is+giving+students+a+chance+to+change+their+on-campus+living+options+for+the+Spring+2021+semester.+

Chaparral Village on campus. Housing and Residence Life is giving students a chance to change their on-campus living options for the Spring 2021 semester.

Breahna Luera, News Editor

UTSA Housing and Residence Life (HRL) sent an email to students who have a Spring 2021 housing contract with them that laid out possible options for housing next semester. This email was sent out on Oct. 16 and is in response to President Taylor Eighmy’s email sent to students earlier in the semester that announced that classes will be mostly online in the spring. 

Students who signed a 2020-2021 academic year contract and students who signed a Spring 2021-only contract received two different emails. Both emails said HRL understands that another semester online may affect students’ decision to want to live on campus. HRL gave students a “one-time” chance to change their living option should they choose to do so. 

Students who choose to live on campus next semester, as planned, will have no changes to their contract. Students who currently live on campus can be released from their contract but have to pay a $900 fee. Students who chose to live off campus this semester but planned to live on campus in the spring can be released from their contract with no fees. 

Residents must make this decision before Nov. 1. After Nov. 1, students will be obligated to the terms of their preexisting contract, including all fees for cancellation, according to the emails. 

The university did not respond to the request of a statement on the $900 cancellation fee for current residents compared to the $0 cancellation fee for students with a Spring 2021-only contract.