Convocation Center releases its COVID-19 guidelines for basketball

Karrington+Donald+attempts+to+pass+the+ball+to+a+teammate+as+fans+look+on+from+the+stands.+It+will+be+interesting+to+see+how+drastically+the+15%25+attendance+limit+will+affect+crowd+attendance+this+season.+

Julia Maenius

Karrington Donald attempts to pass the ball to a teammate as fans look on from the stands. It will be interesting to see how drastically the 15% attendance limit will affect crowd attendance this season.

Max Aguirre, Sports Editor

Basketball is finally just around the corner for UTSA. Both the women’s and men’s teams will start their season Nov. 25. The women’s team will play against Sul Ross State in the Convocation Center, and the men’s team will travel to Norman, Oklahoma, to face Oklahoma. To precede the start to basketball season, UTSA and the Convocation Center announced their plans and guidelines to prevent COVID-19 at basketball games on campus.
In order to provide a safe environment for its fans, the Convocation Center will reduce attendance levels to 15%. The arena’s capacity is listed at just over 4,000, meaning this season’s attendance numbers should be limited to about 600. Physical distancing measures will also be enforced in most parts of the center. Attendees will also not be able to purchase courtside or eastside floor level seats. This is presumably a way to keep fans as far away as possible from the athletes on the court in order to prevent any spread between the two groups. Face coverings will be required of all in attendance with the exception of small children who would struggle to adjust them, but fans will be allowed to pull their masks down to eat and drink when they are seated.
Both concession stands will be open, and they will serve pre-packaged items only. Plexiglass shields will be added around the stands and the stands will not take cash payments. The Convocation Center will also be enhancing their cleaning and sanitizing procedures as well as providing several hand sanitizing stations throughout the building.
All fans will be required to follow the Convocation Center’s COVID-19 guidelines if they choose to attend games this season. It is refreshing to see more sports return to play; allowing fans to return and watch with the right safety measures in place is yet another sign of a slow return to normalcy in the world of sports.