Women’s tennis drops home opener to Houston

Kennedy Caskey, Staff Writer

The UTSA women’s tennis team (0-3) competed against the University of Houston on Jan. 30 at the UTSA Tennis Center and fell 5-2.

In doubles play, the matches started off strong when freshman Alexandra Weir and junior Catalina Cabrique gained a 6-3 lead over Houston’s Slisane and Cortijo. Following their victory, UTSA junior Jasmin Starr and sophomore Keegan McCain finished off a 6-4 win in the second doubles match. 

In singles, UTSA was unable to continue its momentum. Houston took five out of the six first sets in singles competition. Junior Aleksandra Zlatarova was the standout Roadrunner in singles, sweeping Houston’s Sophie Gerits 6-3 6-4. Cabrique, Laura Munoz-Baraja and Starr finished their second sets 0-6, 3-6, and 3-6, respectively. After losing the first set 5-7 against Houston’s Azul Pedemonti, McCain battled back to force a tiebreak set to remain in the match, coming out of the second set 7-6. After a challenging third set, she finished 1-6. Much like McCain, Weir remained resilient on her court and fought for the third set, succeeding with a 6-3 win in her second set. Following the tenaciously contested second set, Weir dropped the third set 0-6.

The women’s tennis team will return to action in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Feb. 5 for a weekend of competition against Youngstown State, Florida Atlantic and UNLV.