State of the City

Bella Nieto, News Editor

Local News: 

Jose Eduardo Hernandez, a former San Antonio teacher, was sentenced to six years in prison after pleading guilty to the sexual assault of a child. During his time as a history teacher and softball coach at Lanier High School, he frequently engaged in inappropriate behaviors with an underage student. Upon his release from prison, Hernandez will be forced to register as a sex offender. 

Data released Wednesday showed a shift in the demographics receiving the COVID-19 shot. In January, of the population vaccinated, white residents led the group at 43%, while Hispanics made up 36% of the vaccinated population. However, recent data revealed, of the vaccinated population, 45% were Hispanic, 38% were white and Black residents made up 3.6%.  

The last day to register for the upcoming local elections is April 1. On the ballot are mayoral elections and various city council seats. Early voting begins April 19-27 

Coronavirus:

Of the 10,885,767 vaccine doses sent to Texas, 8,850,377 have been administered. 11.1%  of the population has received their first dose, while 10.4% have been fully vaccinated. In Bexar County, 172,425 people, 8.83% of the population, have received the first dose and 215,467 people, 11.03% of the population, have received both doses. 

On Thursday night, San Antonio Mayor Ron Nirenberg and Bexar County Commissioner Justin Rodriguez reported 201,273 total COVID-19 cases and 2,995 total deaths in Bexar county. An increase of 77 new cases and no new deaths were added to the count. In addition, there are 202 hospitalizations, and the positivity rate reached 5.6%, up 2.6% since the previous week.