‘Runners conquer weekend, pick up historic sweep of Southern Mississippi

Julia Maenius

Taylor Medina receives signals from her third base coach during a game last season. Medina enjoyed a solid series against Southern Mississippi, going 3 for 13 and scoring 3 runs.

Eddie Sanchez, Staff Writer

After a rough series against Louisiana Tech, the UTSA softball team (11-19, 5-3 C-USA) were determined to make some noise late in the season. They would not disappoint as the team completed a historic weekend. For the first time in program history, the Roadrunners swept Southern Miss (20-18, 2-6 C-USA) in a pair of double headers. They would also reach their highest win streak of the season of four games in a row, leading to the possibility of an April turnaround.

The first game of the series would start off strong at the top of the first as Madison Washington hit an RBI bringing in Riley Grunberg. UTSA led 1-0 until the top of the third, when the ‘Runners would score twice, with Washington hitting another RBI, scoring Celeste Loughman. Kindell Brooks hit the ball to left field right after for Grunberg to score once again as UTSA took a 3-0 lead. Southern Miss’ only run came in the bottom of the fifth, where after a walk and a steal of second base, Destini Brown would find home on a hit to center field, making the game 3-1. The biggest play of the game occurred in the top of the sixth when Hannah Boring hit a dagger home run to center field to lead 5-1, which would be the final score. 

The second game of the series was the toughest of the weekend, demanding extra innings. The Golden Eagles scored in the bottom of the first to jump out to a quick 1-0 lead. The ‘Runners did not waste time tying the game as Loughman hit up the middle in the top of the second to score Marena Estell and level the game at 1-1. There would be no more runs until the sixth inning, when Taylor Medina laced a ball into center field for Lourdes Bacon to run it in and take the lead 2-1. Not long after, in the bottom of the sixth, Southern Miss found its way to home once again to tie the game 2-2. With nothing done in the seventh inning, the game went to extras. UTSA controlled the top of the eighth with a couple of walks, and Kat Ibarra took advantage of runners on first and second. She hit a much-needed ball to right field for Medina to score and take the lead 3-2. This was enough for the ‘Runners to close out in the bottom of the eighth for the victory.

In the first game of the second double header, game three against the Golden Eagles was a cruise for the ‘Runners as they took care of business 3-0. Freshman Alexa Williams was a big reason for the outcome as she pitched all game with three strikeouts and only allowed two hits. In the top of the second, UTSA got on the board early as Hannah Boring and Kat Ibarra scored off of Washington, who hit a nice ball to right field to lead 2-0. There were no more runs until the last inning, when Riley Grunberg scored off a wild pitch. The game ended in a 3-0 UTSA victory. 

The final game of the series was the highest-scoring game for the ‘Runners 7-2. They also seemed to have control the entire time as Southern Miss had a difficult time scoring and did not find a run until the bottom of the sixth, which was far too late for the Golden Eagles. In the top of the third, Ibarra and Loughman scored after singles from Grunberg and Washington. The clinic continued in the top of the sixth, when it got very ugly for the Golden Eagles. The ‘Runners would score five times in the inning after Erykah Guerrero and Medina scored, then Grunberg made the play of the entire series crushing the ball out of the park towards center field for a three-run home run to extend the lead to 7-0. The Golden Eagles scored in the bottom of the sixth to make it closer, but this was as close as they got. UTSA completed the weekend sweep with a 7-2 victory. 

Look for the softball team to keep the momentum this Wednesday, April 21, as they host the McNeese State Cowgirls (19-21, 9-6 Southland).