Men’s and women’s tennis conclude regular seasons with opposing results

Julia Maenius

Sophie Omoworare returns a ball during a match earlier this season. Omoworare and her partner Aleksandra Zlatarova helped secured the crucial doubles point for the ‘Runners that ended up being the difference in their 4-3 victory over A&M-Corpus Christi.

Kennedy Caskey, Staff Writer

This past week the UTSA men’s and women’s tennis teams finished their regular seasons 13-7 and 9-10, respectively.

On Tuesday, the men’s team fell to No. 47 Oregon 0-4 at the UO Student Tennis Center. Launching into doubles play, the Ducks struck first, with Oregon duo Emmanuel Coste and Jesper Klov-Nilsson beating Juri Reckow and Kai Breitbach 6-2. Javier Gonzalez and Garrett Skelly faced similar struggles on court three when their opponents claimed a 6-4 win. Entering singles at a 0-1 deficit, the ‘Runners lost other crucial matches. Javier Rodriguez dropped the first set against Oregon’s Brandon Lam 1-6. The second set was similar, as Lam put away the match 6-2. On courts three and four, Javier Gonzalez and Slava Gulin came out of their matches 6-2 6-3 and 6-3 6-2, respectively, giving Oregon the final point needed in their victory over the UTSA men’s team.

On Sunday, the women’s team battled and secured a tight 4-3 win over Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. Starting with highly competitive doubles matches, the Roadrunners took the doubles point to start the day strong. Aleksandra Zlatarova and Sophie Omoworare faced the Islanders’ Mariya Shumeika and Camille Townsend on court one. At the end of a spirited set, Zlatarova and Omoworare pulled out a 6-3 victory. Strengthening UTSA’s lead, Jasmin Starr and Keegan McCain finished with a 6-3 win on court two, obtaining the doubles point. 

In singles play, the Islanders tied the match 1-1 when TAMUCC’s Emma Aucagne defeated Catalina Cabrique on court four. Alexandra Weir entered her singles match with a surge of energy, winning 6-4 6-3 putting the Roadrunners up 2-1. Following her success in doubles, McCain swept opponent Leopoldine Boisseau, defeating her 6-2 in the first set, and coming out strong again in the second set, finishing 6-3. Similarly, Zlatarova won 6-3 7-5 on court two. Meanwhile, on court one, Starr was edged out 6-7 in her first set with Shumeika but stormed back 6-3 in the second set. Heading into the decisive super-tiebreaker, Starr faltered and Shumeika came out 10-5 in the thrilling match. Overall, the women’s team finished the competition with a 4-3 victory.  

“Great win for us today,” head coach Ki Kroll said. “We got off to a good start winning the doubles point and carried a lot of energy into singles. I was very proud of our ladies.”

With the ‘Runners’ regular season complete, both teams will return to action to compete in the Conference USA Championships from April 22-25.