State of the City- April 21, 2021

Bella Nieto, News Editor

Local News: 

Stephen Nicholas Broderick, a former deputy for the Travis County Sheriff’s Office, has been arrested following accusations of fatally shooting three people in Austin this weekend.

Government aid for tenants and landlords helped curb eviction filings during the pandemic. According to court data, from April 2020 to March 2021, landlords in Bexar county filed a little less than half as many eviction lawsuits as they did in the same period of time a year before.  In the area, landlords filed around 20,000 eviction lawsuits annually prior to the pandemic, but this year only 8,500 were filed. 

University Health has begun offering walk-ins for the COVID-19 vaccine at all three of its locations- Wonderland of the Americas, St. Philip’s College and Robert B. Green Campus Vaccination Center. San Antonio residents can still sign up for appointments at WeCanDoItSA.com, and appointments are available to anyone 16 and older.  

Early voting for San Antonio’s May elections, which include city council, school board and two propositions, opened on Monday. Early voting runs until April 27 and polling locations open at 8 a.m. Election Day is May 1. Voters must bring a valid form of identification to cast a ballot.

Coronavirus:

Of the 19,312,495 vaccine doses sent to Texas, 15,151,731 have been administered. 14.8%  of the population has received their first dose, and 21.8% have been fully vaccinated. In Bexar County, 256,693 people, 13.14% of the population, have received their first dose, and 411,837 people, 21.09% of the population, have received both doses. 

On Monday night, San Antonio Mayor Ron Nirenberg and Bexar County Commissioner Justin Rodriguez reported 213,677 total COVID-19 cases and 3,323 total deaths in Bexar county. An increase of 119 new cases and no new deaths were added to the count since last week. In addition, there are 236 hospitalizations. According to Mayor Nirenberg, the positivity is 2.4%, one of the lowest of any Texas metropolitan area.