Reopening of the Institute of Texan Cultures

The museum resumes operations after being closed for over a year

Briah Ramos, Contributing Writer

The UTSA Institute of Texan Cultures recently reopened during Hispanic Heritage Month after 18 months of closure due to the pandemic. The Institute of Texan Cultures (ITC) is a historical museum composed of a vast variety of mosaic art and artifacts not only from Texas, but from all over the world. 

In the fall of 2020, the temporary closure devastated the staff, but it also gave the staff a chance to reorganize the museum by relocating outdated electronics, old furniture and decluttering the institution. 

During the closure, the ITC adjusted to the changes and inspired the employees to find ways to help the UTSA community virtually. They used modern technology to help students online with digital downloads to assist them with projects and research. This adjustment to the museum’s display was immensely appreciated by UTSA students. 

As the museum reopened, it once again gave eager explorers a chance to learn about our country’s history. It allowed millions of people to acknowledge historical changes throughout the centuries that helped form the diversification of Texas today. 

The ITC also hosts a variety of exhibits and special events throughout the year. Additionally, they welcome K-12 school field trips to spread awareness of our rich history to schoolchildren.  

Reopening the ITC during Hispanic Heritage Month has been thrilling for staff, but even more exciting for visitors being welcomed back into the museum’s historical treasure chest. To celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month, the ITC wants to appreciate the origins of the Latinx culture that has an immense influence in our country. To show recognition, the Consulate General of Mexico and the Mexican Cultural Institute partnered with the ITC and welcomed the “Andy A. Villarreal Art Exhibition” created by Arturo Almeida. The art on display showcased personal experiences cultivated by a life filled with Mexican culture. 

The ITC’s goal is to embrace differing historical cultures to encourage a new way of thinking for our future Texans. “We strive to increase…visibility around the advocacy and equity efforts of Mexican Americans while celebrating the many unique cultures that comprise Texas,” said Veronica Rodrguez, the Interim Head Curator of the ITC. 

If you are interested in experiencing the decades of history, events, and artifacts that the ITC has to offer, feel free to visit the museum. Get a tour from the friendly employees, and learn about the historical and insider spooky stories some employees have experienced.