Soccer advances to conference quarterfinals

Deja Sandoval follows the play during a game earlier this season. Sandoval has two goals for the ‘Runners this season, and has appeared in all 18 of UTSA’s games, drawing 17 starts. Bella Nieto/The Paisano

Julia Maenius, Assistant Sports Editor

The UTSA soccer team (10-4-4, 3-2-3 C-USA) advances to the Conference USA Championship quarterfinals after a 1-0 double overtime loss against North Texas (8-5-4, 3-3-2 C-USA) on Monday, Nov. 1.

In the Roadrunners C-USA tournament debut, the team outshot the Mean Green by eight shots with three of the team’s 15 shots on goal. The first shot on the pitch was from the foot of UTSA forward Kiran Singh in the 18th minute. A save from UNT keeper Sarah Fuller kept the game scoreless. Forward Lexi Bolton took the head-to-head faceoff with Fuller in the 31st minute but shot wide. It was UTSA keeper Jil Schneider’s chance to defend the goal in the 35th minute as UNT’s Devyn Flannery entered the box. A shot to the bottom corner was saved by Schneider. An unsuccessful shot from UTSA defender Deja Sandoval in the 39th minute sent the match into halftime scoreless. 

Eight shots fueled the offensive play in the second half. UNT recorded the first shot on goal for the half, but it did not get past Schneider, who saved the kick in the bottom right of the goal. Senior forward Ellis Patterson got her foot on the ball in the 55th minute but was wide to the left. In a quick turn around, freshman forward Anna Sutter came into the box with a shot to the bottom left of the goal, but Fuller was able to record the save to keep the board blank. Sandoval took her second shot of the game in the 83rd minute. Sutter recorded her second shot on goal in the 85th minute. Taking the ball behind the Mean Green defensive line, Sutter took a ground shot to the bottom left corner, but Fuller stopped the ball from passing the goal line. Coming back into UNT territory in the 89th minute, Sutter sent another shot toward the goal but was off target as the teams split for overtime at 0-0.

An off target shot from the Mean Green’s Conner Barker kicked off the first overtime period. Back-to-back shots from Sandoval and Sutter in the 94th and 95th minutes gave the ‘Runners momentum for the second OT. Four shots from the UTSA forward lineup pushed the ‘Runners to the goal line. A shot from Patterson followed by three Sarina Russ shots within 11 second of each other set the offensive front up for a team goal in the 107th minute to conclude the overtime and the match with a 1-0 advantage. 

Advancing on, the ‘Runners will face the Old Dominion Monarchs (10-4-1, 6-1-1 C-USA) in the quarterfinals on Wednesday, Nov. 3. Kickoff is set for 1:30 p.m. The game is set to air on ESPN+.