State of the City: Week 01/17/22

Bella Nieto, Managing Editor

Local News:

Several San Antonio-area school districts — Hondo, Seguin and Marble Falls — closed campuses on Friday due to staffing shortages from the rise of COVID-19 cases in the area, extending the Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday. All districts will begin classes again on Tuesday, Jan. 18 as planned. The move from school districts reflects a trend of sudden school closures caused by the increase in infections.  

On Saturday, Jan. 15, CPS Energy’s outage map reported several power outages likely caused by the high winds that swept through the area over the weekend. CPS Energy crews worked to remedy 71 outages affecting nearly 20,000 customers. 

CPS Energy ratepayers will soon see electricity bills increase after the San Antonio City Council voted on a 3.85% rate increase and a new monthly fee. In an 8-3 decision, the council approved the first rate hike in eight years. The three council members in opposition included Jalen McKee-Rodriguez (D2), Teri Castillo (D5) and Clayton Perry (D10). However, Perry later flipped his vote when it came to the approval of the new monthly fee.

SAPD reported a threat made over the phone toward the IDEA Ewing Halsell School Friday afternoon. The school went on lockdown as officers investigated and determined there was no evidence of a threat. No students or staff members were injured.

A man was found dead on the Northeast Side of San Antonio and the police continue searching for suspects. After receiving a call about gunfire, officers were dispatched to Nacogdoches Road where a man was found in a field with a gunshot wound. The caller told police two individuals ran from the area and escaped in a white Ford F150 truck. After searching the area no suspects were arrested.   

Coronavirus: 

According to the City of San Antonio’s COVID-19 dashboard, there are 3,796 new and 398,976 total COVID-19 cases in Bexar County. No new deaths were reported on Friday, Jan. 14, the last time the website was updated. San Antonio Metropolitan Health District reported its highest single-day COVID-19 case count, 7,704 new cases as of Wednesday, Jan. 13. The risk level in the area is severe and worsening. 

In Texas, 40,520,431 vaccine doses have been administered. 68.1% of the population has received their first dose, and 73.16% have been fully vaccinated. In Bexar County, 78.5% of the population, ages five and up, have received their first dose and 68.98% of the population have received both doses.