Men’s basketball splits the week at home


Dalton Hartmann

Jacob Germany fights off a swarm of UTEP defenders to pull down a rebound during a game against the Miners last week. Germany has enjoyed a standout junior season and is currently averaging 16 points and 6.9 rebounds per game.

Julia Maenius, Assistant Sports Editor

The UTSA men’s basketball team (8-14, 1-8 C-USA) split their week at home with a seven-point win over FIU and a close loss to Florida Atlantic.

After a stretch of away games, the Roadrunners returned to the Convocation Center to host FIU (12-9, 2-6 C-USA) on Jan. 27. UTSA took an early 10-3 lead with eight of the first 10 points from Jordan Ivy-Curry. Dhieu Deing fired off a pair of free throws and a jumper to push the ‘Runners ahead 14-3 early in the first half. The Panthers closed the scoring gap with a six-point run, only eight points behind, 14-24. A final jumper from Ivy-Curry closed the first half 30-22.  

FIU fired off seven back-to-back points to start the second half 29-30. The ‘Runners held the lead to keep FIU at bay before the Panthers took the lead 54-53. A three-point jumper from Deing gave UTSA back their momentum, 62-61. Maintaining the lead, UTSA sealed the home win with a set of free throws from Ivy-Curry. Jacob Germany led the team in points with 10 from the field and three free throws. Germany grabbed 11 boards, followed by Lachlan Bofinger with eight.

Ivy-Curry took control of the offense when the team faced off against FAU (12-9, 5-3 C-USA) on Jan. 29. The sophomore recorded 19 points, three rebounds and three assists. Germany followed with a double-double, 11 points and 10 rebounds. Both teams traded points early in the first half with tied scoring at 14-14 and 19-19 before a layup from Phoenix Ford handed the ‘Runners a 28-26 lead. The Owls responded with a jumper and two sets of free throws to jump ahead, 33-28. A triple from Isaiah Addo-Ankrah tied the game with 15 seconds left in the first half, and a three-pointer from Ivy-Curry gave UTSA the 38-35 advantage at the half. 

The ‘Runners held onto the lead to start the second half with a pair of three-pointers and a set of free throws to keep FAU trailing 43-40. A triple from the Owls allowed FAU to regain the lead, 51-47, and they did not relinquish. A final Owl jumper allowed FAU to leave the Convocation Center victorious, 73-64. 

The Roadrunners will return to the court Thursday, Feb. 3 at Rice at 7 p.m.