Women’s Tennis continues slide

Eve+Beyebach+returns+a+ball+during+a+match+earlier+this+season.+The+sophomore+from+Madrid%2C+Spain+has+appeared+in+10+of+11+matches+for+UTSA+this+season.+

Julia Maenius

Eve Beyebach returns a ball during a match earlier this season. The sophomore from Madrid, Spain has appeared in 10 of 11 matches for UTSA this season.

Ryder Martin, Sports Editor

The UTSA Roadrunners (1-10) continued their season this past week with three matches, one of which came at home against the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders (11-2), and two that come on the road in Houston against the Rice Owls (6-2) and the University of Houston Cougars (5-4). All three matches continued the dismal trend for the ‘Runners this season as they were brushed aside with little issue. 

Against the Islanders on Tuesday, Feb. 22, things were over rather quickly. The ‘Runners were once again victimized by their inability to field a third doubles team, handing the doubles point to the Islanders. In singles play, a similar forfeit due to lack of players put the Islanders up 0-2 in the match and victories by Leopoldine Boisseau over UTSA’s Sophie Omoworare 1-6, 2-6 and Emma Honore over Eva Beyebach 2-6, 4-6 ended things in a lightning-fast 0-4 match win for the Islanders. 

On Friday, Feb. 25, the ‘Runners took on the Rice Owls and though finally able to field a full six-person group for doubles, found themselves in a battle early. Unfortunately, Omoworare and her partner Aleksandra Zlatarova dropped their doubles match 2-6, and the team of Beyebach and Stanislava Bobrovnikova lost to Maria Budin and Diae El Jardi 2-6 to give Rice the doubles point. In singles play, a forfeit once again put UTSA in an early 0-2 hole. Jasmin Starr lost her singles match 2-6, 1-6 to Allison Zipoli to put the Owls on match point and they confirmed it when Budin defeated Beyebach 1-6, 1-6. Omoworare dropped her match to Saara Orav 1-6, 1-6 around the same time and the match ended in a 0-5 win for Rice. 

On Sunday, Feb. 27, UTSA attempted to salvage something from the week in their match against the Houston Cougars, but were met with a similar result. In doubles, UTSA again failed to secure the crucial point. Houston’s team of Sophie Gerits and Elena Trencheva defeated Bobrovnikova and Beyebach 3-6 to take the early advantage. Afterward, Starr and Keegan McCain lost to the team of Laura Slisane and Blanca Cortijo Parreno 3-6, giving Houston the doubles point and the early edge. In singles play, UTSA’s struggles continued. Omoworare lost to Parreno 1-6, 4-6, Bobrovnikova lost to Azul Pedemonti 3-6, 5-7 and Beyebach was defeated by Gerits 1-6, 4-6 to put UTSA in a 0-4 hole. Starr clawed a point back for the ‘Runners by defeating Slisane 6-3, 7-5, but it was not enough. Zlatarova dropped her match to Maria Dzemeshkevich by a final score of 6-2, 3-6, 4-6 to give Houston the match win by the eventual final score of 1-6. 

The team will look to bounce back next week at home in a matchup against Louisiana Tech (10-2). The match will take place on Friday, March 4, at 1 p.m.