SA Gems: Olmos Perk

Local coffeehouse owners cultivate the ideal environment

Guissel Mora/The Paisano

Inside of Olmos Perk

Guissel Mora, Staff Writer

Olmos Perk has been up and running for 18 years now, but has been under the care of owners Erin and Tres Eaton for the past five years. This self-proclaimed neighborhood coffee shop stands out because they take pride in their excellent customer service and being one of the best study spots in San Antonio, along with “delivering good vibes, great music and pretty surroundings,” as stated by owner Erin Eaton. 

They foster a sense of community by knowing their customers on a first-name basis and serving incredible breakfast sandwiches all day. In the mornings, their drip coffee is the most popular item, but once the morning frenzy dies down, their afternoons consist of iced drinks. Their two signature drinks that often sell out are “The Boss Coffee, which is our nitro coffee and our iced coconut matcha latte,” as stated by Tres Eaton. 

Their work is unique because it is a labor of love and passion, which is evident through their satisfied customers. The music and quiet humming of conversation surrounding the coffee shop can lull you into a state of relaxation, all made possible by the Eatons’ hard work in bringing this idea to life. Olmos Perk is living proof of a thriving business as Eaton admires, “Being in here and watching customers come and go makes my heart full.” She watches people enjoy themselves, study, work or catch up with one another. They offer comfortable seating and Wi-Fi, making this an appropriate setting for students to get work done. If you are looking for a more relaxed location, though, they offer outside seating — ideal to enjoy the upcoming warm weather with an iced coffee. 

Olmos Perk is more than a coffee shop, as the facility is rented for private parties. They are now open Friday and Saturday nights from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. (B.Y.O.B.) for a $10 parking fee. Eaton describes the atmosphere she built for their shop as an escape from reality — curated through comfortable seating, including furniture acquired from countries like England, Brazil, Spain and France; this adds to the vibe they are going for — one of a kind. Their well-kept secret has successfully grown through word of mouth, they had no idea that five years from when they first started, they would be where they are now. Olmos Perk was made what it is today by trial and error and previous business experience, as Erin Eaton owned a bakery shop before owning their cafe. She has transferred her baking skills over to Olmos Perk and describes her work as custom baking, where she makes baked goods for all events, ranging from small tarts to wedding cakes. The Eaton’s currently serve gluten-free options and are working on adding vegan options to their menu in the future. 

Though they have been serving customers of San Antonio for some time now, Erin Eaton says this is their only location, making it an experience you cannot find anywhere else. 

Olmos Perk is located at:

5223 McCullough Ave, San Antonio, TX 78212. 

Olmos Perk is open from Wednesday through Saturday from 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.; Friday and Saturday from 5:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.; Sunday from 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. and closed on Monday and Tuesday.