4 fun things to do in San Antonio

Use this list whenever you wish to explore different sides of San Antonio

Sofia Garcia, Editor-in-Chief

As COVID-19 restrictions are being lifted, our social calendars are filling up; San Antonio is coming back to life. Our city is cloaked in the potential to house vibrant memories with friends and family, and now is the time to take advantage of the beauty it has to offer. With spring breathing color and light back into our surroundings, there are a multitude of attractions waiting to be explored. 

Fiesta

After nearly two years without one of San Antonio’s biggest events, we are ready to welcome Fiesta back to the list of festivities. For those who are new to San Antonio, “Fiesta started in 1981 as a one-day parade to honor the memory of heroes of the Alamo and the Battle of San Jacinto… but has grown into a celebration of San Antonio’s rich and diverse cultures and today is one of this nation’s premier festivals with an economic impact of $340 million,” according to the official website. An event that is anxiously awaited by San Antonians and tourists alike, Fiesta begins on March 31 at 4 p.m. in Hemisfair Park. Most events will take place in downtown San Antonio and ticket prices vary. 

For the official event calendar, visit the link below.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rj_xRKCvkqUIKGbkNSseTKVSfAEwxJU3aDYWPHvEZ8s/edit#gid=0

First Friday

On the first Friday of every month, Southtown San Antonio hosts an art walk accompanied by live music, artisan vendors and delicious food. Starting at the Blue Star Arts Complex and moving down S. Alamo Street, you can admire the work of local artists while being enchanted by the lively spirit of downtown San Antonio. This family-friendly event unites the people of the city while giving exposure to local businesses and art galleries. If you are looking for something other than staying in and watching Netflix, consider gathering a couple of friends to experience the dazzling atmosphere of First Friday. The next one is on April 1. 

For more information, visit the link below. 

https://southtownsatx.com/first-friday/ 

Old Town Helotes

Do you need a new place to eat, shop or study? What about somewhere to take your significant other? Old Town Helotes has it all — family-owned restaurants and coffee houses with locally sourced ingredients, boutiques and antique shops. Nestled on the Northwest side of San Antonio, Old Town Helotes is a charming development that deserves to be appreciated by any and all who come by. Businesses like The Cracked Mug, Texas Grounds and Old Town Depot Antiques are ready to be the best part of your day — but that’s not all. Helotes Market Days, which are arts and crafts fairs, also take place on the first Saturday of every month. 

Check out the link below for more information.

https://www.shophelotes.com/

Parks

San Antonio is also home to dozens of parks that are great for hiking, biking and picnics with friends and loved ones. With free entry into most parks, there are many that UTSA students do not know about. 

Pearsall Park is 505 acres of hilly land that includes water, dog and skate parks. If you are aiming to get some cardio in, there are cemented running trails and even disc golf. There are also fitness facilities and playgrounds for children.  

The address is: 4838 Old Pearsall Rd.

Purchased by the city of San Antonio from philanthropist Gilbert Denman Jr., Denman Estate Park is full of gorgeous greenery and walking trails. With a small pond and friendly ducks, this park also serves as a quiet place to sit and read or picnic with friends. You can also view a hand-crafted Korean monument that sits right in the heart of the park. 

The address is: 7735 Mockingbird Lane. 

Located close to UTSA is Gorrell Park. With a short walking trail, picnic tables and a playground, this park is perfect if you want to get some fresh air before starting your day. Although it is smaller in size, Gorrell Park still serves as a nice getaway from the busy parts of daily life.

The address is: 4802 De Zavala Rd.