Roadrunners tune-up three weeks out from conference

Luke Lawhorn, Assistant Sports Editor

In the sixth outdoor meet of the season, the UTSA track team traveled south to Rice University for the annual J. Fred Duckett Twilight meet. With only one more competition until the conference meet, the Roadrunners were expected to be close to peak performance. 

Sophomore Ingebord Gruenwald and freshman Oreoluwa Adamson finished first and second in the women’s long jump. Gruenwald had a winning jump of 6.36 meters on just her second flight, while Adamson jumped 5.93 meters. 

Sophomore Sigrid Kleive also won gold for the women’s team participating in the javelin throw. The distance was 41.52 meters, 8.05 meters ahead of second place. This marked Kleive’s second win of the season. 

Freshman standout Jemuel Miller won the triple jump event with a distance of 15.57 meters. The only ‘Runner in the competition got his best jump on his sixth and final attempt. 

Junior Jake Smith ran a season-best 15:25.81 5k on the track for the men’s distance side, coming in first for UTSA. Junior JD Corona ran a personal record and team-best 3:59.05 in the 1,500-meter run while also being the only ‘Runner in the event. Sophomore Idol Ramon was the first of three ‘Runners in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, obtaining a new personal record time of 9:58.99. 

For the sprinters, former Texas state champion and freshman Jose Garcia finished fourth in the 100-meter dash, with a time of 10.65, coming in first for UTSA. Sophomore Logan Masters, who placed 13th overall in the 400-meter dash, ran a 48.96. 

For the third consecutive meet, junior Abby Balli ran a personal record time this week, bringing her 1,500-meter run down to 4:32.88 and finishing second overall. Junior Creshaun Cresser was .01 seconds off a personal record in the 400-meter dash with a 56.82, landing her fourth overall, and she also recorded a personal best in the 200-meter dash with a 25.98. 

The Roadrunners’ next competition will be back in College Station on April 30, which will be used as a final preparation meet before hosting the Conference-USA meet from May 12-15.