‘Runners go 1-1 on Florida road trip

Luke Lawhorn, Sports Editor

The UTSA women’s soccer team (4-1-1) made its first major road trip of the season, traveling to Florida to play both Stetson and South Florida.  

Due to extreme weather conditions, the first game against the Stetson Hatters (1-4) was postponed from Thursday, Sept. 1, to Friday, Sept. 2, at 9 a.m. Both teams started the game slow, taking one shot each on the goal. Sophomore Anna Sutter scored the first goal of the game at the 10-minute mark, giving the Roadrunners a 1-0 lead. Not even four minutes later, junior Sasjah Dade scored another goal for the ‘Runners. Senior Deja Sandoval and junior Avery Chaney were credited for the assist. Goalie and redshirt sophomore Mia Krusinski had two saves in the first period, as the UTSA defense did a great job on keeping the ball on the other side of the field. The ‘Runners went into halftime up 2-0. UTSA was also far more aggressive, outshooting the Hatters 10-2.  

The aggressiveness continued as the ‘Runners scored again just two minutes into the second half. The goal was again by Sutter, redshirt junior Sabrina Hillyer with the assist. The score was now 3-0, and this would end up being the final score. UTSA had 16 shots in the game while Stetson had just seven. There were 34 total fouls in the game, and five yellow cards for the Hatters. 

The ‘Runners traveled to Tampa to play South Florida (2-3) on Sunday, Sept. 4. This was the first game this season where the Roadrunners met an opponent who matched their intensity on defense, as USF held the Roadrunners to four shots the entire game and let South Florida take 12. The first and only goal in the game did not happen until nearly the 87th minute, where Signe Markvardsen scored for the Bulls. This was UTSA’s first loss of the season and a good self-evaluation of a future American Athletic Conference (AAC) opponent.  

UTSA has a week of rest, with their next game not until Sunday, Sept. 11, at home against Stephen F. Austin.