‘Sour Kandy’

UTSA junior Keagan Pace and his upcycling fashion brand

Chloe Williams, Web and Social Editor

Sour Kandy is an alternative repurposed brand started by UTSA Junior, Keagan Pace. Pace started Sour Kandy about a year ago and has since released one collection with more on the way. 

“My first collection was really just a[n] exploration of prints and processes after establishing the brand, figuring [out] what works and what doesn’t. As of now, I’m focusing on building strong, clear ideas and themes for my next collection that I’m planning to release in a few months,” Pace describes. 

Raised in San Antonio, Pace developed an early passion for art and expression through clothing. All of Sour Kandy’s items are designed, made and packaged out of Pace’s home, and most purchases take place through Instagram or the many pop-ups Pace attends. 

Pace’s first collection focused on screen printing and denim. Other items dropped included T-shirts, pillows, stickers and jackets. One jacket from the collection was sold to Texas-based artist Teezo Touchdown, who appeared on Tyler the Creator’s last album. 

The majority of pieces sold by Sour Kandy are thrifted and then reworked. 

“Everything is sourced secondhand. From like, thrift bins, garage sales, just like anybody that gives me anything,” Pace explains. 

In the future, Pace plans to have a more women-centered customer base, and focus on more cut and sew pieces. 

“Eventually, I’d like to produce my own blanks and stuff instead of having to repurpose secondhand. I mean, I like the whole idea of shopping sustainable, but there’s just specific cuts and silhouettes that I want to work towards that I can’t always find in a thrift [store].”

Pace describes the source of his inspiration for Sour Kandy as “my peers, my homies, my friends, we all make clothes. So we all just kind of take inspiration from one another. We’re constantly learning from each other. Whatever we can apply to our own brand. Even every day just walking around campus or San Antonio.”

Sour Kandy operates with a larger collective of Texas-based designers, each specializing in different styles and articles. 

“We don’t have big teams or resources out here in SA compared to [places] like LA or even Houston. I believe that’s what sets us apart from other brands — we care about the quality of our garments and are focusing on the details and processes needed to make sure your piece will last you 5-10 years,” Pace explained. 

The collective is also planning an event and fashion show at the end of the month to highlight the brands. 

“I started planning this show to give us all a[n] opportunity to show what we can do in terms of fashion design of course, but also event planning and building. We’ve all done many pop-ups in the past and even a sewing camp, teaching everyone how to make a simple tote bag (all materials provided, for free), but this event should be next level and everything will be done by our now small team of roughly 8 people.”

The event is set for 8 p.m. on Oct. 29 in San Antonio and the address will be released closer to the date. For more information about Sour Kandy or to purchase any clothing check out @sourkandytx on Instagram.