‘Hogwild Records’

With comfort and care, ‘Hogwild’ has stood the test of time

Guissel Mora, Staff Writer

As San Antonio grows exponentially, we see many new hangout spots and intriguing businesses developing. Something that sets Alamo City apart is the great local businesses, like Hogwild Records, that have withstood the test of time. Hogwild Records has been up and running for over 40 years, opening its doors in 1982 under Dave Risher’s care. It has established itself as a locale that provides customers with records, cassettes and CDs — but more importantly, a sense of community. 

The environment in this shop has thrived with the help of employees and the Manager, Steve Alejandro. For around 20 years, Alejandro has been playing an active role in Hogwild Records’ growth and helping establish it as a hideaway for many who cross its path. He aims for an “indie record store vibe … a cool place where people can get cool stuff.” 

Located across the street from San Antonio College, you can expect customers ranging from college students to regional enthusiasts of all ages. Alejandro explains, “it’s a tiny little [shop], there’s not a lot of organization which is good and bad at the same time — it’s like a mom and pop.” 

Guissel Mora

The sense of community defines San Antonio and how easily people can visualize their lives here. Hogwild Records is captivating because of the comfort it brings to many, including those who have been here since the beginning. The familiarity has stayed as musicians still post their hand-made fliers looking for a bass player, just as they did back when they first opened. The next time you are looking for a musical sanctuary, keep an eye out for the purple building on N. Main Ave., where many find solace between the grungy aisles. 

Hogwild Records’ sole location is on 1824 N. Main Ave., San Antonio, Texas 78212, and is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Sundays. They also offer curbside pick-up during those hours, except for Sundays. For more information and photos, check out Hogwild’s Instagram and Facebook @hogwildrecords.