Roadrunners go 0-2 in back-to-back 5-set series

Luke Lawhorn, Sports Editor

UTSA volleyball (7-12, 2-5 C-USA) fell to the University of North Carolina Charlotte and the University of North Texas at home last week. Both the 49ers (8-10, 2-4 C-USA) and Mean Green (10-12, 4-3 C-USA) took the Roadrunners to a fifth set; however, it was too much to overcome for UTSA. The Roadrunners are 10th in the Conference USA standings.

The first match for the ‘Runners came against Charlotte on Friday, Oct. 14. UTSA came out aggressive, winning the first set 25-20. The Roadrunners led by as many as seven points, and freshman Katelyn Krienke had a set-high of four kills. The second set was more of the same, with UTSA winning 25-22. The match was close as the teams traded points until UTSA went on a 4-1 run to take a commanding 19-15 lead which gave them the boost to win.

Unfortunately for the Roadrunners, the 49ers would win the next three sets. Emani Foster had eight kills in the third set for Charlotte, leading them to a 25-16 win to keep them alive. However, the 49ers exploded to a 16-8 lead in the fourth set and would go on to win 25-19, despite a comeback from the ‘Runners. In the final set, the teams looked as if it was going to be close as it was tied 3-3; however, Charlotte would take a lead and win 15-11, completing the 0-2 comeback.

Cansu Günaydin led the ‘Runners with 12 kills while Alicia Coppedge and Krienke had 10 kills each. Courtney Walters had 47 assists. 

In a more back-and-forth series, the ‘Runners lost another five-game series to North Texas on Sunday, Oct. 16. UTSA won a close first set 25-23. Both teams were tied at 20 and the Roadrunners closed on a 5-3 run. Günaydin had three kills in the set. The beginning of the second set was the same as both teams traded points. The Mean Green closed on a 10-4 run which gave the game a lopsided feel as North Texas won 25-17. UTSA responded in the third set, battling out another close one losing 25-21. There were eight ties and three lead changes; however, the ‘Runners were led by Krienke and Coppedge who each had four kills.

UTSA would answer in the fourth set. After an early lead, the ‘Runners went on to win 25-19 to force the fifth set. UTSA tied the game at 11 in the fifth set, even pushing the game to extra points. Still, the Mean Green won 17-15. Coppedge led the Roadrunners with 13 kills while Günaydin had 12. Mekaila Aupiu had 25 assists while Walters had 21.

The next time UTSA plays will be at 6 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 21, against UTEP (11-9, 5-2 C-USA).