State of the City: 10/25/2022

Dafny Flores, Staff Writer

UT Health San Antonio is seeking a $300 million expansion to the Multispecialty and Research Hospital campus. Four projects will be a part of the expansion, including $100 million for UT Health to invest in the Center for Brain Health building and $20 million for a 500-space parking garage. In addition, UT Health President Dr. William Henrich plans to build a new research center for about $100 million to $120 million. The Barshop Institute for Longevity and Aging studies will also receive a $10 million investment to develop a vivarium animal habitat. Finally, the UT Health San Antonio campus will acquire a $50 million central energy plant that will provide reliable power. 

Mark your calendars, the Rotary Ice Rink will return on Nov. 18 for its third season. Located in Travis Park, the ice skating rink will double in size to 5,000 square feet. Tickets priced at $14 will be available to purchase online on their website. Visitors will receive a skate rental, a safety waiver and a receipt with the purchase of a ticket. The Rotary Ice Rink will host theme days for the San Antonio community to enjoy. 

Longtime San Antonio radio show host Russell Rush passed away on Thursday, Oct. 20. His wife Saralyn Ferrell shared the news on social media. Earlier this week, Ferrell shared an update on his health as Rush was moved to home hospice care to spend his last moments with family. In June 2019, the 96.1 NOW host announced he was battling a rare cancer called T-cell lymphoma. 

The Hemisfair area in downtown San Antonio will be reimagined in the coming years. The Hemisfair Park Area Redevelopment Corporation and the Hemisfair Conservancy announced plans to build two skyscrapers to attract visitors and locals to the area. The first building will host 360 apartments and a seven-level parking garage. The other building will be smaller with three stories of shops.

Phase two construction on St. Mary’s Strip will take place from Oct. 23 to Nov. 18, if weather permits. Stakeholders lining the area from Ashby to Valdez streets have been notified of the road work. As the construction continues, traffic on the St. Mary’s Strip will take a detour. Two lanes as well as new curbs, driveways and sidewalks will be available on St. Mary’s Strip after construction.

The San Antonio Botanical Garden will host a holiday light display called “Lightscape” from Nov. 11 to Jan. 8, 2023. The one-mile walking trail will feature art installations from Kinetic Hue and Flower Forest. Visitors will hear holiday music as they enjoy the illuminated lights and art display.