Top October performers

Luke Lawhorn, Sports Editor

There are a handful of sports that are currently in season at UTSA. Cross country has its conference meet at the end of the month. Soccer and volleyball start their conference tournament in November. The men’s and women’s golf team are finishing their fall schedule, and football is right in the middle of their season. There have been great performances by a lot of Roadrunners this month. Here are some of the top performers.

As an honorable mention, head football coach Jeff Traylor. Coach Traylor won the 200th football game of his career last Saturday against North Texas and dedicated the game to his old friend Matt Camp. Traylor is one of 25 coaches to land on the Paul “Bear” Bryant Awards Coach of the Year Watch List. Traylor has his football team number one in the conference for the second straight season; however, as a non-athlete, he is just an honorable mention. 

In fifth place is Kiran Singh, a junior on the soccer team. Singh scored three goals in the month of October. The team, seventh in conference standings, has been in a losing slump recently, keeping Singh from being a higher performer.

Fourth place for top October performer goes to football kicker Jared Sackett. Sackett has claimed nine of the 13 on-field goals this season, along with being the Conference USA special teams player of the week against Western Kentucky, where he made a 49-yard field goal to give UTSA its first lead of the game at 17-14 on Oct. 8. 

In third place is sophomore Colton Stunkard from the men’s cross-country team. The Sam Houston transfer has had two races for UTSA and has come first for the ‘Runners in both. In the UIW Invitational on Oct. 1, Stunkard finished fifth overall with a time of 25:10.3 for the 8000 meters. On the 15th, Stunkard finished 36th overall at the Arturo Barrios Invite with a time of 24:38.0. The cross country team’s season finale is on Oct. 29 in Denton, where Stunkard will look to lead UTSA once again.

The second-best UTSA performance in October goes to men’s golfer Christian Fanfelle. Fanfelle finished in fifth place at the Trinity Forest Invitational and led the ‘Runners to seventh place in the stacked 17-team field. 

The top Roadrunner performance goes to the Tennis duo Alan Magadan and Sebastian Rodriguez, who won the ITA Texas Regional Championship. The duo is the first in UTSA history to go to an ITA Regional final, let alone win it. The two defeated three nationally ranked opponents (No. 3 TCU, No. 13 Baylor and No. 24 Texas A&M) en route to winning the title.