Annual fire safety report shows increase in on-campus liquor violations, rape cases among other crime statistics

Camila Martinez Rivera

UTSAPD was one of the collaborators that contributed to the report.

Gauri Raje, News Editor

UTSA recently released its 2022 Security and Fire Safety Report, which was completed in compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. Signed into law in 1990, the Act requires universities to “produce and make available certain policy statements and statistics about campus crime.” 

In an introductory message preceding the report, President Eighmy explained that the report was compiled through a collaborative effort between various campus sectors, which included the UTSA Police Department, Equal Opportunity Services and Title IX, the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards, and Housing and Residence Life.

Among other things, the report included annual crime statistics at both the Main Campus and the Downtown Campus in 2019, 2020 and 2021.

Several categories of crime listed for the Main Campus saw a significant increase in numbers.

Liquor law violation arrests saw the most significant increase in 2021, with 119 cases reported on campus compared to eight in 2020. Liquor law referrals for discipline also saw an increase from four in 2020 to 28 in 2021.

Furthermore, rape cases reported on campus increased, going from four cases in 2020  to a total of 13 cases in 2021. 

Other categories that saw an increase included burglary, which went up from eight on-campus cases in 2020 to a total of 24 on-campus cases in 2021. Additionally, seven cases of motor vehicle theft, one case of fondling, two cases of aggravated assault, one weapons law violation arrest and 37 drug law violation arrests were reported on campus.

The statistics for domestic violence, dating violence and stalking were also included and are listed under “Violence Against Women Act Offenses.” A total of one domestic violence case, five dating violence cases and 18 cases of stalking were reported on campus in 2021.

Statistics for the Downtown campus did not see any significant changes, except an increase in non-campus liquor law violation arrests, which went from zero cases in 2020 to 40 in 2021.

No cases of domestic violence, dating violence or stalking were reported on the Downtown Campus in 2021.

The report also included a Fire Safety Report, which detailed the fire safety systems at the six on-campus housing facilities, five of which are operated by UTSA Housing, as well as fire prevention policies, evacuation procedures, information on fire drills and fire safety education programs.

Based on fire statistics included in the report, one fire each was reported at Laurel Village and University Oaks in 2021, and no injuries were reported.