A third sexual assault case occurred on the main campus; university addresses the incidents

Mason Hickok, Editor-in-Chief

According to information obtained from the UTSA Police Department’s crime log, a third sexual assault case was reported to the police on Monday, Nov. 14. This case comes after two incidents of sexual assault occurred mere days apart from one another

The recent incident occurred at 10 p.m. on Oct. 22 but was not reported until Nov. 14. UTSA’s Chief Communications Officer, Joe Izbrand, commented on the status of the report. 

“On November 14, UTSA Police received a report of a sexual assault that occurred at Chaparral Village involving a student and a suspect known to the student,” Izbrand said. “During the investigation, the survivor told police she did not want to pursue charges against the suspect at this time.”

According to the crime log report, the case status is “closed by exceptional means.” Izbrand commented on the specifics of the term.

“The definition of cleared by exceptional means is: The identity of the offender has definitely been established, and there is sufficient probable cause to support obtaining an arrest warrant and prosecution; and [the] location of the suspect is known so that if an arrest was appropriate, the subject could be arrested, but there is some reason outside law enforcement control that precludes arresting, charging and prosecuting the offender,” Izbrand said.

Additionally, the incident reported on Nov. 1 is now “cleared by an arrest.” 

“Specific to the incident reported on November 1, a suspect who is not a UTSA student but is known to the survivor was charged with felony sexual assault,” Izbrand said.

The investigation of the incident that occurred on Oct. 31 remains active.

Those affected by sexual assault and dating violence in UTSA’s community can contact the PEACE Center on campus. The Center offers in-person walk-in services from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. In addition, they can be reached at (210) 458-4077. Their email is [email protected]. UTSA’s Safe Campus Resources and other assistance information can be found here. at https://www.utsa.edu/safecampus/