Men finish second, women fourth in C-USA Indoor Championships

Luke Lawhorn, Sports Editor

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – UTSA competed in the Conference USA Indoor Championships Feb. 18-19, with the men finishing second overall and the women fourth.

The men totaled 136 points, making it the program’s highest total in C-USA Indoor Championship history and third-most ever in a conference indoor meet.

The Roadrunners were 23 points behind Charlotte, who won the league meet with 159 points.

Mike Roth led the team with 20.5 points in three events. The Canada native chipped in two gold medals of the men’s five total, also having claimed silver in the 200 meters.

Roth, alongside Noah Rhodes, Logan Masters and Dennis Phillips, won the 4x400m relay with a time of 3:12.45. The final relay was UTSA’s first conference victory in the event since 2014.

Roth also broke the school record in the 400m dash with a time of 46.42. The record-setting continued in the 200m dash, where the sophomore clocked a 21.09, landing him runner-up in the event and No. 2 all-time in the event in UTSA history.

Jack Turner claimed his third career C-USA Indoor heptathlon title. His 5,794 points in the event broke the conference record set by Scott Filip of Rice in 2015.

Turner extended the Roadrunners’ streak of four consecutive seasons of winning the event.

Jamuel Miller won the triple jump in back-to-back seasons for the ‘Runners. Miller leaped a 15.63m (51-3.5) in the fifth round to claim the gold over teammate Gabriel Binion who finished with a jump of 15.52m (50-11), earning him the silver medal. 

UTSA’s second place finish adds to nine straight top-three team finishes at the conference meet.