10 free meals using ingredients from the Roadrunner Pantry

Chloe Williams, Web and Social Editor

The Whataburger Resource Room, also known as the Roadrunner Pantry, is an on-campus resource to provide students with free access to fresh and nutritious foods. Everything in the pantry is dorm friendly and can be made in the microwave. This week, we will highlight 10 meals you can make using only ingredients from the pantry; the stocked items change every day, so be sure to go check it out for yourself and pick up some food. Items listed are from the main campus pantry and do not include spices which are also available. 

1. Chicken burrito

• Ingredients: fully cooked premium white chicken, flour tortillas, black beans, rice, white onion and salsa.
  • Cut onion and cook items based on listed instructions, then assemble on tortilla and top with salsa. 

2. Chili

• Ingredients: can of chili, crackers and onion.
  • Cut onion and add to chili. Heat according to the can and serve with crackers.

3. Chicken spaghetti with toasted bread and brie

• Ingredients: fully cooked white chicken, spaghetti, spaghetti sauce, bread and brie. Optional: jerky for a mini charcuterie board. 
  • Cook pasta, then add sauce and chicken. Toast bread and top with brie cheese and serve with beef jerky.

4. Elevated ramen

• Ingredients: instant ramen, eggs and onion. Optional: Vienna sausage or chicken. 
  • Chop onion and cook egg, then cook ramen according to the packaging and combine all cooked ingredients.  

5. Barbecue chicken sandwich and fries

• Ingredients: hamburger buns, barbecue sauce and onions. Optional: potatoes and onion dip.
  • Chop potatoes into fry-sized bites and cook in an air fryer if available. Assemble onion sauce and set aside. Heat chicken and mix it with barbecue sauce, build the sandwich with meat, sauce and onions, then serve with fries and onion dip.

6. Chicken and rice soup with peas and carrots

• Ingredients: chicken and rice soup cans, fresh carrots, canned peas and crackers. 
  • Chop carrots and heat with peas. Cook soup according to the can and then combine it with vegetables. Serve with crackers or bread.  

7. Big breakfast

• Ingredients: breakfast sandwich, cinnamon roll, protein chocolate milk powder and whole milk. 
  • Heat items and mix milk with protein powder, then serve.

8. Fresh apple oatmeal

• Ingredients: oatmeal pack, milk, fresh green apple and maple syrup.
  • Make oatmeal following instructions with milk, cut apple and serve on top of finished oatmeal with maple syrup. 

9. Tuna sandwich 

• Ingredients: tuna packs, bread, pretzels or chips. 
  • Place tuna on bread and serve with your choice of side snack; current selections include zesty jalapeno pretzel pieces and hot chili corn snacks. 

10. Ready-to-eat meal packs

• Options: fettuccine alfredo, pork vindaloo, gumbo with chicken and vegetable stew.

The Roadrunner Pantry does not just provide food but also has an area for clothing, toiletries and baby food. The pantry is available to visit on the Main campus from 12 to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday. The downtown campus pantry hours are from 12 to 4 p.m., Monday through Thursday.

Read more Spare Change here.