Roadrunners go 3-0 in UTSA Invitational

Dustin Vickers

SAN ANTONIO – The UTSA Volleyball program caps off its double-header with a 3-0 win (25-21, 25-12, 25-19) over Missouri State in Friday night’s Orange Out Contest in the Convocation Center. 

UTSA took time to honor former All-American and Western Athletic Conference Player of the Year Mckenzie Adams, who was named to the institution’s inaugural Hall of Fame class prior to Friday’s game. 

The Roadrunners looked dominant throughout all three matches and continued to show improvement from last year’s squad. Sophomore transfer Mia Soerensen led UTSA with 11 kills and junior Faye Wilbricht followed with eight. 

Soerensen’s expectations for the home-opener were all about being consistent, as well as applying pressure as a team for their opponents.

The first set was the closest of the three, with UTSA edging out the Bears 25-21. After trailing 6-4, the Roadrunners new transfers showed great poise and teammate chemistry as they regained the lead at 8-6 and held on to win the set by four points. 

The Roadrunners continued to display excellence by taking a commanding win in the second set. Willbricht took over and accomplished eight kills, four digs and two aces in the set, bringing UTSA to an early 14-4 lead. The ‘Runners pushed the momentum all the way to the end, winning 25-12 and a 2-0 match lead.

UTSA closed out Missouri State in the third set, 25-19, to clinch its second sweep of the day. Soerensen, Wilbricht and freshman Makenna Wiepert displayed great chemistry as they built up an 18-5 lead. 

The Bears cut the deficit to just five points late in the set, though it was not enough as UTSA showed its star power Wiepert setting an assist to Willbricht to end the game and complete the sweep.

“It is the best feeling to play with this team and we have a great culture,” Soerensen said.

Friday’s game showed that UTSA volleyball is planning on exceeding expectations for this year, after a below average 2022 campaign where the ‘Runners finished 8-18. 

Head coach Carol Price-Torok, who led her team to a 3-0 start on the season after Saturday’s win over Texas A&M Commerce, is liking what she sees from her new team.

“It’s nice to always have success early,” Price-Torok said. “The work in practice is starting to show, which is a key to all our young players and transfers.” 

After going undefeated in the UTSA Invitational, the ‘Runners will try to match their success in the team’s second hosted tournament, The Roadrunner Classic. UTSA’s first match will be against Lamar at 10 a.m. on Friday, Sept. 1, at the Convocation Center.