UTSA takes down Texas State in third home game of the season

Genevieve Vega

SAN ANTONIO – UTSA soccer came out victorious against Texas State, winning “The Battle of I-35” 1-0 on Sunday night at Park West. Sophie Morrin scored the only goal of the night in the 21st minute while goalie Mia Krusinski notched 5 saves in the defensive matchup. 

Despite being outshot by Texas State 9-6, UTSA made their shots count as Morrin scored off a shot to the bottom left of the goal to give UTSA a 1-0 lead midway through the first half. 

The Roadrunner defense continued to hold their ground in the second half as time began winding down in the match. The Bobcats began to pick the pace up as they were running out of time to try and tie the game. Texas State attempted three shots in the final twenty minutes of the match, all of which were denied by Krusinski. 

“Just see the ball, stop the ball and play safe,” said Krusinski on her mentality during the final minutes. 

Sunday night’s 1-0 win improves the ‘Runners to 3-1 on the season. Still early in the season, head coach Derek Pitman plans to keep his team’s mentality the same.

“We’re going to celebrate tonight’s win, watch the film, get better tomorrow, get better Tuesday and head out to Phoenix on Wednesday,” Pittman said.

UTSA’s next match will be against Grand Canyon University at 9 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 31 at the Grand Canyon University Stadium.