Frank Harris sits on sideline as UTSA falls 1-2 for the second-straight year

Marburger throws for 239 yards and three touchdowns in loss to Army

SAN ANTONIO – UTSA football was unable to add to the win column as the Roadrunners fell to Army 37-29 on Friday evening in the Alamodome. 

After getting banged up in last week’s win over I-35 rival Texas State, seventh year quarterback Frank Harris was ruled out for Friday night’s game, forcing backup Eddie Lee Marburger to make his first career start for the Roadrunners. Despite the loss, Marburger completed 17 of 25 passes for 239 yards and three touchdowns. 

Army took an early 14-0 lead before the Roadrunners could score. UTSA responded with a 19-yard rushing touchdown from newcomer running back Rocko Griffin. Army added two field goals to lead 20-7. With enough time for one play, Marburger threw up a 46-yard hail mary and was brought down by Tykee Ogle-Kelogg in the end zone to cut the lead to six. 

The Roadrunners carried their momentum into the third quarter with a screen pass to receiver Joshua Cephus who took the ball 44 yards for the touchdown. On the ensuing kickoff, head coach Jeff Traylor called for an onside kick which was recovered by UTSA, though was forced to redo the kick due to an illegal touching call on the ‘Runners.

Army finished off the wire-to-wire victory as the UTSA defense could do nothing to stop the Knights rushing attack. Army totalled 257 rushing yards, 100 of which came from quarterback Bryson Daily. 

“We’re not a great football team right now,” said Traylor after the game.

The ‘Runners scored a late fourth quarter touchdown from Marburger to receiver Devin McCuin and made a successful two point conversion, though still short of pulling off the comeback.

Army played a disciplined football game, having finished with zero turnovers and zero penalties in Friday’s 37-29 win. Traylor credits Army coach Jeff Monken for his team’s level of preparedness while also taking full blame for the Roadrunners’ second loss.

“His team was very well prepared to play. Ours was not,” Traylor said. “And that’s on nobody but me.”

This is not unfamiliar territory for UTSA. The Roadrunners began last season with a 1-2 record, having fallen to Houston and Texas within the first three weeks. Unfortunately for the ‘Runners, their toughest opponent comes next Saturday against the No. 11 Tennessee Volunteers.

UTSA will hope to recoup and get healthy in the eight days between Friday’s loss and next Saturday’s game. The Roadrunners will travel to Knoxville and take on Tennessee, with kickoff set for 3 p.m. Saturday, at Neyland Stadium.