10 things to keep in your car for the unhoused

Ruby Coker

The number of people currently unhoused has increased through the years. There are ways that we can lessen the burden for these individuals by keeping useful items in our cars. All of these items are small and easily stored within a car to be handed to the unhoused. Items on this list can cost as low as $1 and can be found at many grocery or dollar stores. 

Socks 

People who are unsheltered may not take their shoes off often because of the amount of walking that happens daily. Having a fresh and clean pair of socks to put on after a long day is always nice. 

Reusable water bottles 

Having access to clean and fresh water is not always possible for some people. Being able to reuse a water bottle multiple times reduces the cost of buying plastic bottles, as well as reducing the amount of trash that one is producing. 

Non-perishable foods

Food that can be eaten over multiple days can take away some of the stress of trying to find food for every meal. Food items that can help create a balanced meal while also being resealable are extremely important since there is no fridge or a pantry to store these items. Non-perishable foods can include tuna, crackers, peanut butter, beef jerky, oatmeal, granola bars and mixed nuts. While fruits and veggies are great additions to a diet, they have a shorter shelf life. 

Medical supplies

Having even a small first aid kit that has band-aids, alcohol wipes and gauze can help clean cuts and scrapes that occur day to day. Making sure that these cuts and scrapes are properly cleaned is essential to ensure that no future infection occurs. 

Dental hygiene products

Having proper dental hygiene is not at the top of someone’s mind when they do not have somewhere warm to sleep. Unhoused people are 12 times more likely than people who have stable housing to have dental problems. 

Hairbrush 

Being able to brush your hair to minimize the chance that day-to-day hair tangles turn into matting is a privilege that the unhoused are not able to indulge in. The length that a simple hair brush can provide is astronomical. 

Sunscreen 

Everyone should wear sunscreen since the sun is constantly beating down on us. If there is no shelter to go underneath to hide from the sun, someone would need to have proper sunscreen to avoid burning their skin. The unhoused are exposed to an extreme amount of UV rays that come along with the sun. The high levels of exposure increase the likelihood of skin cancer or melanomas occurring to unhoused individuals, yet only 13% of the unhoused population has ever been screened for skin cancer. 

Deodorant

With the current heat, some can start sweating as soon as they step outside. Imagine the constant heat that one endures when they are constantly outdoors. Deodorant is a nice addition when you do not have constant access to a shower. 

Poncho 

Texas has some of the most unexpected weather shifts and it can go from sunny to rainy quickly. Having weather protection when you cannot find shelter will provide comfort while being in an uncomfortable space. 

Wet wipes 

Wet wipes are versatile and can be used in many ways such as in the restroom, cleaning hands and surfaces. The use of wipes can be beneficial in ways of comfort as well as in sanitary ways. 

Being in a position to help others who are less fortunate is a great opportunity to show humility. These items above show that the basic necessities are not always readily available to all. Providing something as small as deodorant can change someone’s day for the better, we can only imagine the impact that can happen if many give back.