Spurs update: Cam Payne, I-35 series, Spurs give

Courtesy to NBAE/Michael Gonzalez

The San Antonio Spurs have many exciting events and news coming up before they officially begin the 2023-24 season. From waiving guard Cameron Payne and tickets for the I-35 series going on sale to unveiling their newly renovated basketball court in the Garrison Park District. 

On Sept. 11, the Spurs waived Cameron Payne — a veteran point guard who the Spurs acquired from the Phoenix Suns. Payne was exchanged for a second-round pick in the 2024 draft for the Suns. In return, the Spurs received a second-round pick in the 2025 draft and cash considerations.

Following this news, the Spurs will return to Austin for the annual I-35 series. Tickets went on sale to the public Friday, Sept. 15. Spurs season ticket holders were able to purchase Tuesday, Sept. 12 and official fan club members received access on Wednesday, Sept. 13. The series will begin on March 15 against the league’s defending NBA champions, the Denver Nuggets. Shortly after, the Silver and Black will go head-to-head with the Brooklyn Nets on March 17. Last year in the 2022-23 season, the Spurs set a Moody Center attendance record against the Minnesota Timberwolves with 16,148 fans in attendance. The I-35 series will be held in the Moody Center, presented by Alienware and Netspend. More information on tickets can be found by texting SPURSGAMES to (210) 444-5050.

On Sunday, Sept. 17, Spurs Give and the Austin Parks Foundation unveiled the basketball court renovations that have been underway at James A. Garrison District Park. Along with the ribbon-cutting ceremony, a basketball clinic with 50 youth athletes also took place. The clinic was led by Austin Spurs head coach Will Voigt and Spurs player and former Texas Longhorn Sir’ Jabari Rice. Director of the Austin Parks Foundation, Kimberly McNeely, shares her excitement about the unveiling at Garrison.

“We are excited to unveil the newly upgraded James A. Garrison District Park basketball court thanks to the Spurs Give and Austin Parks Foundation partnership,” McNeely said. “This project reflects our commitment to enhancing community spaces, promoting active lifestyles and creating lasting memories for Austinites.”

In addition to the ribbon-cutting ceremony, Hunger Action Month was recognized by the Central Texas Food Bank, by launching their new Mobile FARMacy unit, part of their “Food is Medicine” program. 50 participating families were able to get groceries from the mobile unit. While offering health tips and recipes to promote healthier lifestyles throughout the community, a benefits counselor was also available to help families with applying for federal assistance programs, such as Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program and Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children.