US basketball losing dominance?

After losing to Germany in the semi-finals and Canada in the match for third place, Team USA’s run in the FIBA Basketball World Cup came to a mediocre end. As a result, a discussion about the USA possibly losing dominance internationally in basketball has arisen recently. Left without a medal, is this discourse warranted?

It is important to note that the team’s fourth-place finish is a marked improvement from their seventh-place finish at the 2019 FIBA World Cup. However, these overall lackluster performances are symbolic of the increasing competitiveness globally. International competition is reaching new heights, with new talent blossoming every year, as seen by players like Victor Wembanyama and Luka Dončić. Other teams like Germany and Serbia have continuity with their core players playing together in multiple events beforehand, which Team USA lacks as they only started practicing last month.

An excuse often brought up as to why the U.S. has not performed as well in the tournament is the lack of big names. Recognizable superstars like Lebron James, Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant have not played in recent years. Why would they? There is no real incentive to play at the FIBA World Cup when the Olympics, a much more prestigious competition, exists. Many teams were also missing key players. Serbia was without two-time NBA Most Valued Player Nikola Jokić and 2021 EuroLeague MVP Vasilije Micić, among other players. And yet, they managed to reach the finals and win the silver medal. Is it fair to complain when other teams endured a similar situation?

Talent does not automatically negate the importance of a strong team effort. The perception that gold is a guarantee for any U.S. men’s national basketball team because of the amount of talent on the roster is flawed. With differences in the style of play from international teams more used to the FIBA rules and more cohesive units, it is not hard to see why the team lost. A lack of size certainly did not help matters, adding to the rebound woes experienced during the tournament. 

Losing the FIBA World Cup is not an unmitigated disaster. In reality, the result shows the perceived gap between American and international play is not as wide as it once was thought. With reports of numerous NBA stars interested in joining Team USA for the 2024 Olympics in Paris, it remains to be seen just how well the team will do after winning four consecutive Olympic gold medals.