Christ and coffee

Sometimes the comfort of home can be difficult to obtain while studying at the JPL, but oftentimes we cannot go home due to distractions. According to Edutopia, 80% to 95% of students practice procrastination, which means we are likely to watch TV, play video games or even begin to clean despite knowing there is an essay due in a few days. It is a good thing that in San Antonio there is a study cafe known for delectable coffee that actively tries to create a comfortable and productive environment with their diverse space. Ambassadors Coffee is a Christian-owned local business that opened on Jan. 27.

The owner, Gabriel Zurita, moved to San Antonio from Florida. He has a background in business, photography and graphic design. However, opening Ambassadors Coffee came with its own set of challenges, especially since he had a love-hate relationship with business in the past. 

This is a project Zurita felt he was meant to take on during his walk with Christ. “I was in a growing period and experienced a lot of growth within my faith as well as business and I feel like God positioned me to be where I am now,” he said.  He believes the coffee shop’s mission “is to represent something bigger than ourselves to bring attention away from us and toward something else, and that something is Christ.” 

They even hint at their Christian faith in their logo. Zurita said, “It’s a black and white coffee cup with a crown,” and its “edges aligned to show we’re called to be ambassadors and our alignment with the Kingdom.” He went on to share, “There are three prongs at the top that represent God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Everything poured into this cup must first go through the crown, which shows it leads the cup.” Also through his work, he hopes to promote peace and unity despite differences in beliefs. Ambassador Coffee strives to be a place where everyone is welcome, and Zurita wants to “provide normalcy to something so convoluted.” 

According to Assistant Manager Jackson Sergeant, Zurita and the staff open their doors with the intent to show “God’s love through good food, drinks and amazing service so customers may experience a place of rest.” Yet, the positive atmosphere is not just based on the lounge area in the backroom or the studious desk arrangement at the entrance, but it is the Ambassadors Coffee staff who are patient, gentle and kind that set the bar for phenomenal customer service. Upon entering, they will greet you with kind hellos. After you order, they are quick to bring your coffee to you topped with foam art. 

When it comes to the menu at Ambassadors, there are many items to choose from, with the most popular drink on the menu being “Das Machine.” Sergeant sees why people love to order the iconic beverage, and notes that “It provides a lot of caffeine and balances out with agave.” The owner’s favorites include matcha imported from Japan, which is served in a cappuccino cup with a bit of vanilla. Zurita claims “It’s not sweet, but flavorful,” which makes for a delicious drink while students study. Another staff-recommended drink is a “cortado with vanilla because the espresso is covered in milk.” Sergeant also has a passionate opinion on the drinks. He highly recommends trying “a cold brew with or without foam [for] a great kickstart in energy. If you’re not a caffeine person, try tea mixed with a refresher.” 

The main thing Zurita wants to deliver his customers is a “palette to be refreshed physically and spiritually. And that they’d hunger for something more whether that’s the coffee or experience.” He wishes to express his hope that many people will find out the truth for themselves. 

“There is no time wasted and if you look intentionally you will find [what] you are looking for whether that disappoints you or fulfills you,” Zurita said.

So keep going, keep learning and keep studying. Next time while searching for a peaceful place to do school work, consider this local Christian-owned coffee shop. Grab a latte, get comfortable and experience what Ambassadors Coffee truly is. To learn more, take a look at their website: https://ambassadorscoffee.com/.

View Comments (1)