At an early 2-1 start, is this finally the Cowboys’ year?

Dallas+Cowboys
Chloe Williams

With two dominant wins over The Jets and The Giants, the Cowboys see themselves with a 2-0 record to start the NFL season. Over the past couple of seasons, Cowboys fans have been claiming it’s “their year,” while other fanbases have poked fun at them for coming up short in the postseason. But so far this season, the team feels different. 

The defense has been locked down from guys like DeMarcus Lawrence, Micah Parsons, Trevon Diggs and former Defensive Player of the Year Stephon Gilmore, holding The Giants to zero points and The Jets to just 10 points. It is not just the defense that has been good, the new-look offense has put up monster numbers as well. With Mike McCarthy’s West Coast offense, there has been a more balanced attack when it comes to passing and running the ball. There have also been more quick routes so Dak Prescott gets the ball out quicker and there is less risk of interceptions, something the quarterback struggled a lot with last season.

Could this new-look offense be the answer to a Super Bowl Championship in Dallas? I believe so. Last season, a lot of blame was placed on Dak Prescott for being too aggressive and throwing so many interceptions. The play calling of former Cowboys offensive coordinator, Kellen Moore, was also a big reason why Dak threw so many interceptions, as he would sometimes run the same play multiple times, and defenses would be able to predict what was coming. 

As McCarthy takes more control over the offense, I expect a Super Bowl run from The Cowboys this year barring any serious injuries. McCarthy already proved that he can help his team win a Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers during the 2010-11 season. With the talent around Dak Prescott on both sides of the ball, I fully expect The Cowboys to raise the Vince Lombardi Trophy by the end of the season.