Who to keep an eye out for this upcoming UTSAMBB season

Andrew Christianson

With an almost completely new roster, the 2023-2024 UTSA men’s basketball team is set to be one of the best teams yet. Their new collection of elite scorers and dazzling playmakers will undoubtedly improve upon the chaotic struggles that were faced by last year’s roster. It seems that the days of low-scoring mediocre basketball are now long gone, as the new high-scoring, high-powered offense is here to stay. This year, some extremely talented players are spearheading the offense, something all fans should be looking out for. Whether they are making incredible scoring plays or knocking down big-time shots, here are the top three players to watch out for this college basketball season. 

Isaiah Wyatt

Transferring from Chadron State, Junior guard Isaiah Wyatt is set to have a major role on this year’s roster. The six-foot-four athletic guard found himself averaging 15.2 points per game while shooting an outstanding 46.9% from three last season. An exceptional shooter, the guard will waste no time in making his presence known on the court this year. Though his scoring numbers are very impressive, it is not all Wyatt brings to the table. His elite rebounding ability will help the Roadrunners in a category that was seriously lacking in the 2022-23 season. Wyatt’s ability to read passing lanes and acquire steals are also skills that should not be overlooked when analyzing the player’s strengths. The addition of the Junior guard immediately improves the ‘Runner’s chances of having a winning season this year. 

PJ Carter 

Another elite scoring transfer, PJ Carter is definitely one of the top three key players to look out for this year. A transfer from Georgia Highlands College, Carter is coming off a season where he led his team by scoring with 16.3 points a game while also dishing out 1.5 assists and grabbing 2.6 rebounds. Leading a team in scoring is never an easy feat, especially when coming off the bench as Carter did a majority of his games last year. As he will most likely be in the starting lineup for the season opener, the Junior guard will have ample opportunity to showcase just how lethal of a scorer he really is. Racking up first-team All-Georgia Collegiate Athletic Association honors last year, Carter will prove to be an exceptional addition to UTSA Roadrunner basketball. Fans should be extremely excited to watch the star guard this year, especially if 2023 is anything close to his 2022 campaign.

Jordan Ivy Curry

Though he did leave for the Pacific Tigers in 2022, fans should be incredibly optimistic about the return of Junior point guard Jordan Ivy Curry. A familiar face on a team full of new players, Curry is sure to make an immediate positive impact on the team. Averaging 10.3 points for the Tigers last year, it is mainly Curry’s explosive scoring bursts and passing ability that makes him such a threat on the court. The guard found himself recording double-digit scoring performances in 20 games last year, while also dishing out 50 total assists. His play should take no time to translate to the UTSA offense, as it is relatively the same offense he played two seasons ago. With Jordan Ivy Curry returning for his junior season, the guard can only contribute to the winning basketball this team should play in 2023.