Roadrunner’s look to turn season around after Saturday’s win against Temple

Stephen Saenz
UTSA vs Tennessee on Sept. 23, 2023

Despite a 2-3 start, the Roadrunners still have a chance to turn this season into a success. The struggle with consistency and injuries has held UTSA football back from meeting the expectations that coach Jeff Traylor has instilled in the program. With questions about morale and health within the locker room, here are the three biggest takeaways from Traylor’s Monday press conference.

Throughout its nonconference schedule, UTSA has had trouble keeping the best players on the field. Quarterback Frank Harris has missed the last two games along with his top receiving threat, wide receiver De’Corian Clark, having played one snap all season.

“He practiced last night, we will see what he looks like in Temple,” Traylor said coming into Saturday’s game against Temple. “If he moves around well, he will play.” 

Traylor added that Clark will also be a game time decision. Traylor feels that the bye week allowed UTSA to regain some depth, especially along the offensive line.

Coming into the season, the ‘Runners were predicted to finish second in the AAC, largely credited to the respect Traylor has earned in his four seasons at UTSA. Though, the Roadrunner’s 1-3 record is their worst through four games under coach Traylor. 

UTSA has raised its level of play in the last three years and now finds themselves in unfamiliar territory. 

“Everyone telling us how bad we are every day is motivating in itself,” Traylor said. “But you also have to be careful not to let that define your team.” 

The biggest current goal for the ‘Runners is to change the season trajectory with a win at Temple and to return to the Alamodome for a tough matchup against rival UAB. There is a lot of season left, but right now what is important is getting back in the win column. Though the rough start to the season has done little to shake the Roadrunners spirit.

“We know who we are and we are getting better,” Traylor said.

In order to turn back into a winning football team, UTSA must clean up the turnovers and force some on the defensive side. Through four weeks, the ‘Runners are one of the few teams in the nation that has yet to force a turnover on defense and has had eight turnovers on offense. 

“Our defensive line has got to be more physical,” Traylor said. “We have not gotten a holding penalty yet, so they are not being disruptive.” 

As for the offense, Traylor said the key to success is the same as the defense. 

“We have got to dominate up front,” Traylor said. “We thought we were going to be pretty good and deep there, now it is time to show that in conference play.”